Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experience of High Dose Effexor Wean-off...Experiences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experience of High Dose Effexor Wean-off...Experiences?

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum but I decided with everything going on right now I need to attribute my mind to other things. A little about myself, I have been battling many diagnoses, anxiety, depression and OCPD for many years, with depression being the underlying diagnosis, in my opinion.

Primarily, when I was diagnosed with depression, is when I began taking Effexor, which was 5 years ago and I am 23 now. For the last 4 years, I have been on 300mg of Effexor daily and have recently decided with the approval of my doctor that I wanted to wean off the medication completely, as I have felt "trapped" at times.

Yesterday, was my first day of 150mg as planned, which is a big change. Our plan is to keep cutting my doses in half overtime as time goes by. I have heard that withdrawal symptoms vary person to person in regard to severity but I feel okay as of the first day (expect to be much worse the next couple of days).

I plan to update this forum regularly with my symptoms and experience as well, I think it will help me with the motivation to make it through this. Has anyone had experience weaning off high doses of Effexor?

Take care and stay safe,
    Mike
    Last edited by Anonymous Mike; April 16, 2020, 05:53 PM.

Welcome to the forum Anonymous Mike. I actually had to drop Effexor quickly due to mania but I was only on 75mg at that time.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello Anonymous Mike, and welcome! Thanks for sharing some of your story, I wish you all the best as you reduce the Effexor.

Many years ago I went off of Effexor after taking a high dosage for several years. It had stopped doing anything for my depression, so under my psychiatrist's supervision I began to reduce the amount. Unfortunately it soon became apparent that I'm one of those people who simply cannot make quick changes in meds or dosages without getting physically ill. I seem to be made that way or something. So the weaning off, for me, took many months. Most people don't take that long. In any case, that's my experience.

I found it very helpful to keep track of how much I took, and when, and what effects I felt. This is good information to show a doctor, and also to refer to in future if need be.

I think it's great that you want to check in and post updates here I hope it will be of help. Take care and stay safe
      Last edited by uni; June 10, 2020, 04:56 PM.
      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hello Anonymous Mike and welcome. My son had trouble getting off of effexor. What the doctor did was give him another med, I think it was valium to ease the withdrawal problems and then once off of the effexor the weaned him off of the valium.

I've also known other people who had no problem weaning off od effexor. So good luck . I hope it goes well for you. Take Care. paul m
        "Alone we can do so little;
        Together we can do so much"
        Helen Keller

Comment

Welcome Anonymous Mike! I hope you are well and that your withdrawal symptoms are few!

Comment

Welcome. That is a big drop. I’ve been doing a drop of 37.5 at a time. Recently diagnosed with ADHD. No side affects for me Down from 150 mg. Take it slow My opinion.

Comment

I, too, was weaned off Effexor yet much slower than you. I experienced what I call "brain zaps", what felt like electrical shocks in my head. They were uncomfortable but bearable.

Comment

Hello Sad in Paradise and welcome to the forum. Thx for your input and I hope that you will continue. Take Care. paul m
                "Alone we can do so little;
                Together we can do so much"
                Helen Keller

Comment

Welcome to the forum Sad In Paradise.
                  AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
                  for not being what they believe they should be.
                  -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello Mike I too am being weaned off Effexor 300mg. Each week is 37.5 mg reduced. So far so good just headaches and dizziness. 150 mg each week seems likes a lot. Hope it is going ok for you
                    I am being changed to ciprolex.

Comment

Working...
                    X