Prescriptions during CoVid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prescriptions during CoVid

I'm just wondering how much the med prescription situation varies around the country.

At first I was dismayed to find out that here in Saskatchewan we can only refill one month of a prescription at a time. I'm used to getting two months. It made me rather nervous to think I might run out of drugs and then be forced into withdrawal -- ack! My mind loves jumping to the worst case scenario! But so far, so good.

I'm in the habit of keeping some extra on hand (which began when I traveled a lot). I still feel a bit uneasy though, so am keeping close tabs on my supply and order the next batch as soon as it's allowed. Is anyone else in this situation?

On the up side, I've been pleased that my pharmacy will deliver, and surprisingly at no extra charge. So that's what I've been doing rather than wait in line in the grocery store (where it's located).
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Well the drug shortages really make me nervous. At the beginning of this month, 3 of my medications were on back order. Part of this has been an ongoing problem for some time, compounded by Covid. (Much of the raw materials for drugs are made in China and India). I had to hop in the car and make a trip to another town to get a drug I would have run out of at a critical time in the treatment.

Like you Uni, I like to plan ahead and not wait until I'm almost out to reorder. If you have Alberta Blue Cross, you have to wait until 70% of your current stock is finished before they'll pay for another refill. The 30 day supply limit is a bit unsettling, but it does prevent hoarding and lack of supply to take care of everyone. We all know how that went with bloody toilet paper!
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

I'm on blister packs. Counting out 13 pills/day (not all psych meds) was a pain and when I was stressed I'd sometimes have trouble remembering if I'd taken them. Now the counting is taken care of and if it's not in the bubble any more I know I took it. My plan will let me get up to 90 days at a time but I usually do 4 weeks. No shortages so far, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way! I'd heard that others were having issues.
      Pressure makes diamonds....

Comment

Hello Everyone. In Ontario there have been shortages and they have put a 30 day limit on what you can get. As far as I know it's all across the province. It's a pain in my pocket book as I now have to pay 3 prescription fees rather than 1.for every drug my wife and I take. That's a lot of money. Our drug benefit plan does cover part of each prescription fee, but we are still out of pocket a fair bit every mth. Plus it's a pain in the butt to have to constantly be cking each medication to see when I can get it refilled. On the plus side my pharmacy has agreed to waive their fee every other time they fill a prescription for me. Just a word of advice , if you are a big time user of medications you can sometime negotiate the prescription fee.

Fortunately my pharmacy has been able to come up with what I need or a substitute. Our drug plan allows me to refill after 25 days, so I have been doing that to try and build up a bit of reserve. Take Care. paul m
        "Alone we can do so little;
        Together we can do so much"
        Helen Keller

Comment

Glad to hear everyone's been managing so far. I wonder if we will remain so dependent on China and India after the whole pandemic thing. That's a soapbox topic for me so I won't get on it!

AJ, having to drive to another town in order to fill a crucial prescription just doesn't seem right. There was one time, a couple of years ago, my pharmacy had to phone around for one med and they got it from another city. It made me very nervous with something you can't suddenly stop taking without getting sick!

Gossip, I'm glad you have a good thing going with your meds!

Paul, I'm sorry to hear you and your wife have to deal with all the extra charges and rigamarole. I agree it helps if you have a pharmacy that will negotiate.
          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

My doctors delivers medication for free too. Its good although i like to go and get it myself, i enjoy travelling 45 minutes there.

Comment

Twisted my knee and ankle really badly once.I'm the most careful person since then. The only good part about my case is that I had a young doctor did my assessments online. I live alone so for me to go to the hospital was a total nightmare. The amounts of time it took me to prepare myself and get in a cab were simply too exhausting.I'm glad that Dr. Jim thought of my disability and suggested this type of evaluation. I hope that more hospitals will use the same system in the near future.
              Last edited by Lisari; March 10, 2021, 07:24 AM.

Comment

I'm glad that now the restrictions have fallen, and everything seems to be normalizing. I hope there will be no more epidemics. For everyone, what happened during this period was a nightmare, but the families that lost the most suffered is someone dear because of Covid-19. I work in the pharmacy, and honestly, this was the first time I saw so many drugs produced and bought. However, I would like to advise everyone to take care of their health, wear a mask so that they do not become infected, and not infect others.
                Last edited by Erpyria; July 15, 2021, 03:31 AM.

Comment

Erpyria I am hoping for the exact same thing. I am very excited to be going into phase 3.

Mocha231

Comment

It's good that the situation is stable at the moment and we don't have to worry about this anymore.It's good that the situation is stable at the moment and we don't have to worry about this anymore. They were advising healthy individuals to avoid MIT Medical, particularly the MIT Pharmacy, whenever possible. Their purpose was to prevent healthy people from getting into contact with sick patients in our building, limiting the risk of disease. You can also acquire your prescriptions in the mail through Express Scripts if you're enrolled in an MIT-sponsored employee health plan. I preferred to order online at metromedi.com, to avoid contacting with people.
                    Last edited by OfericSchim; August 17, 2021, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Well I hate to be a party pooper but the Delta variant is a concern. In spite of govt guidelines changing, I think masks in crowded indoor spaces are still a good idea. Purell is still coming with me on my adventures!

I am happy things have eased somewhat. Covid has been tough on us all, especially those who lost loved ones.

I’m going to be brave and go on a plane to
                      Ontario to visit my very elderly parents. It will be good to finally see them.

Stay safe everyone and enjoy the new freedoms.

AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
                      for not being what they believe they should be.
                      -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Working...
                      X