Venlafaxine alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Venlafaxine alternative

Hello I am new to the forum. I am taking venlafaxine for 6 months it is no longer working for depression what would be a good alternative to try.

Hi Johnl and welcome to the forum. Have you discussed this with your doctor? We all have our own unique make up and response to medication. Adjustments to medication is a trying process, but well worth it when you start to feel better.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello and welcome johnl. Thank you for coming on to the forum and posting. I'm sorry to hear you're dealing with the return of depression.

There are so many medication alternatives out there that I wouldn't know where to start. Even for doctors it's often a guessing game. There's so much trial and error when it comes to antidepressants. I'm hesitant to make any suggestions about what to try because I'm just not qualified. I can, however, relate to the disappointment and frustration of having a med quit working, then trying to find a different one that will. I think AJ made a good suggestion, which is to discuss it with your doctor. And go from there. Meanwhile, please post on here as much as it may be helpful. Ask questions, vent, answer others' questions, check out different threads, etc. It's a great place to spend a bit of time when things aren't going well -- and when they start to get better too.
      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Thanks for the welcome. I was able to see a psychiatrist and he has suggested changing the Effexor to cipralex hopefully it works.

Comment

Keep us posted johnl. I hope the switch will be better for you for treating your depression.
          AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
          for not being what they believe they should be.
          -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello johnl. I hope you're doing ok so far with the cipralex..
            uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hi uni the cipralex seems to be helping I also was
              prescribed lithium. My mood has improved but have bad hand tremors now

Comment

Hello Johnl. Good Luck with your medication change. Take Care. paul m
                "Alone we can do so little;
                Together we can do so much"
                Helen Keller

Comment

I'm glad your mood has been better Johnl. Have you been able to get help regarding the hand tremors?
                  uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hi Uni when I see the doctor I am going to mention the hand tremors

Comment

Originally posted by johnl View Post
                      Hello I am new to the forum. I am taking venlafaxine for 6 months it is no longer working for depression what would be a good alternative to try.
                      Perhaps you could ask for a higher dosage.

Comment

Working...
                      X