overthinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

overthinking

how do i stop analyzing every single thing that happens in my life. how do i stop needing to feel in control every second

Originally posted by agreathope View Post
    how do i stop analyzing every single thing that happens in my life. how do i stop needing to feel in control every second
    You have to calm yourself down, and put your mind on something that will help you take your mind off things. Have goals and focus only on what is important.

Comment

Something that has recently started to help me with this similar scenario is asking myself when I feel the 'urge' "why do I even care about this? why is this so important?" I find most times that I feel that 'urge' to subside when I come to the realization that I don't care and/or it's really not that important. As an example and not to belittle your situation, my teenage daughter wanted to set up a tent in the backyard and sleep in it every night this summer. I had this emotion inside that I didn't want this to happen for reasons such as "you'll be in and out to go to the bathroom, we have to work in the morning, you'll get the dog going in the middle of the night, etc." and therefor adamantly said no. I got to thinking after, I was trying to control the situation because it was out of the 'norm'. So, I thought "why is this so important that I say no? Are these reasons really that big of a deal that I have to care so much about?". The answer was no, the reasons were mostly unfounded and I worked it up in my head that all these things are going to happen every single night. In the end, the tent is out there, she's been sleeping in it for fun, and is respecting my concerns (as lame as they may seem). Plus, I feel better because I let go of that control - I don't need to be in control of this situation unless there is something that my daughter can't handle on her own. This is what I mean by "why do I care? why is this important?" If I can't really substantiate these questions, I've found the relief in 'letting go' of that pent-up controlling feeling. Hopefully this helps but if it doesn't, keep trying different strategies and you will find one that works for you. Don't give up!

Comment

Working...
      X