Lithium makes me gag!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lithium makes me gag!

So I was recently hospitalized again for a manic episode and I think it’s very clear now to me that I need to take my mental health seriously. But I can’t for the life of me stomach these got damn lithium pills. And I have to take 5 of them. I’ve tried yogurt, I’ve tried water, I’ve tried pop, I’ve tried pudding, and at this point I’m just sick of them altogether and it’s making it that much more difficult to take them. Any suggestions would be kindly appreciated. Cheers

Hi lady.emm and welcome. Perhaps taking them with a full meal would make a difference. I would also consider having a chat with your pharmacist. Are you experiencing nausea or stomach pain? Or some other symptom? How's your coffee consumption? These are questions your doctor/pharmacist can go thru with you. I assume they are monitoring your blood levels of Lithium regularly?
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

HelloLady.emm and welcome. Taking Lithium can certainly be a trying time. I agree with what AJ said. When I took lithium I found it easier to take it two or three times a day rather than all at once. Take Care. paul m
      "Alone we can do so little;
      Together we can do so much"
      Helen Keller

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
        Hi lady.emm and welcome. Perhaps taking them with a full meal would make a difference. I would also consider having a chat with your pharmacist. Are you experiencing nausea or stomach pain? Or some other symptom? How's your coffee consumption? These are questions your doctor/pharmacist can go thru with you. I assume they are monitoring your blood levels of Lithium regularly?
        thank you for such a warm welcome AJ and i dont consume much coffee these days or tea. im experiencing lots of nausea especially around the time i go to take the medication. ive also started having rashes on my face, ankles and neck. and yes i go to check my blood levels every month. coming up this week actually. ive been starting to wonder if epival is a better option to try

Comment

Originally posted by paul m View Post
          HelloLady.emm and welcome. Taking Lithium can certainly be a trying time. I agree with what AJ said. When I took lithium I found it easier to take it two or three times a day rather than all at once. Take Care. paul m

thank you for welcoming me paul! that is such a great idea i hadnt thought of taking them at different times throughout the day. did lithium not work for you? ive been thinking of asking to go on epival instead because im really not coping well with the side effects of lithium

Comment

Hello lady.emm. Of all the medications that I have tried lithium was the most effective. Unfortunately it can be tough on the kidneys after a time(20+ yrs for me) My kidney function was still ok, down a little, but still ok. However I had to go through a series of chemotherapy and the docs were concerned that lithium and chemo would be too much for my kidneys.

I took epival and it worked great but I experienced severe side effects. Actually it was my favorite but it gave me severe edema and I had to quit taking it.

If you take the lithium at several times during the day make sure that you tell the person who is doing your blood work about it. It can affect your test results if they don't know. paul m
            "Alone we can do so little;
            Together we can do so much"
            Helen Keller

Comment

Originally posted by lady.emm View Post
              So I was recently hospitalized again for a manic episode and I think it’s very clear now to me that I need to take my mental health seriously. But I can’t for the life of me stomach these got damn lithium pills. And I have to take 5 of them. I’ve tried yogurt, I’ve tried water, I’ve tried pop, I’ve tried pudding, and at this point I’m just sick of them altogether and it’s making it that much more difficult to take them. Any suggestions would be kindly appreciated. Cheers
              Speak to your doctor about it. Sometimes when i take my tablets i can taste them in my breath after a few hours. You can either tell the doctor about it, capsules might be better for you. If not then, you may have to stomach it (Pun intended)

Comment

Working...
              X