Lithium and related issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lithium and related issues.

Hi all - I am on Lithium around 5 months now. for unipolar depression.
    My psych is adamant I stay on my current dose of 1000mg.

I am also on mirtazipine (Remeron) 15mg.
    Problem is mainly the side-effects of Lithium. I feel a little lifeless / lethargic and am starved of joy and
    feel a little blank. Also, libido is nil.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with Lithium and sleep? Does it help with your sleep?
    I am hoping that it is the Mirtazipine that is helping me to sleep. Simply because I am hoping to taper off the Lithium.
    If it is the Lithium that is putting me to sleep, I may as well (reluctantly) stay on it

I am told that Lithium can be sedating - does this effect fade as tolerance builds up?
    Would love to hear some of your feedback on this.
    I have read a lot of horror stories on Lithium and kidney damage so I am a little anxious about taking it.
    THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP / ADVICE.

Most people have less sedation with Lithium over time. Sedation is a very common side effect of Mirtazapine and is for many, a beneficial side effect.

Of course everyone has their own unique reaction to drugs and drug combinations.

Are you having your Lithium blood levels checked? (Clinical response to a particular dose should be factored in as well). Have you had a baseline kidney function test, and continued monitoring?

Your pharmacist would a good resource for your drug related questions as well.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Thanks for your response. Yes, I am getting bloods done every three months.
      I think you are right how Lithium loses its sedation. I take 1000mg at night, and initially was feeling very sleepy within half and hour of taking my dose.
      Now , that is delayed a bit and early morning I am waking up earlier than , say, 5 months ago when I started Lithium.
      appreciate your advice , but I am slightly scared as over time, I will lose the sedative quality of Lithium and will struggle with sleep.

Comment

Hi FBR. I was on lithium at one time, and it did make me sort of lethargic. Although sleep is often a side effect of Remeron, which I currently take a small amount of, it's never made me particularly sleepy. Just goes to show how these things can vary from one person to another.
        uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hi. I find lithium still has a sedating effect after taking it for several years, but I also need a few other medications to help me sleep at night, so it's not enough in itself for me.

Comment

Hello, I'm currently on Lithium and Mirtazipine. The first time I was on Lithium and not Mertazipine, I had similar side-effects that you have described. Lethargic, uninterested, dull, foggy brain, low libido, etc. but it never helped me sleep. I was taken off the Lithium because of the severity of these symptoms. Fast forward, I was put on Lithium once again because my mood was erratic and very unstable. For some reason, I mostly do not have the same symptoms that I had before. As for the Mertazipine, I was put on that after the Lithium (2nd round) and I found it sedating - I take it before bed at the same time every night, along with the Lithium. I wake up still a bit tired and groggy but the sedation goes away for the rest of the day. I have more information to offer in regards to Mertazipine but I'll keep this response to your specific question. If you would like to know more I would be happy to fill you in on my experience with Mertazipine.

Comment

Thank you for sharing this information Eazybreezy02.

Mocha231

Comment

Working...
              X