Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why isn't there a Lorazepam equivalent for depression?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why isn't there a Lorazepam equivalent for depression?

I take Lorazepam for anxiety. I can use it for spot treatment when my usual coping mechanisms aren't enough. What I'd love is something that works the same in an anti-depressant. My self management and coping mechanisms go a long way most of the time but now and then they just aren't enough. I'd love to be able to spot treat, like I do with Lorazepam. Anyone heard of anything?
    Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes. - Walt Whitman

Hello Beatrice. To the best of my knowledge there are no meds like that. Depending on the symptoms that you experience during depression, the closest fast acting med that I can think of would be an anti-pyschotic med like seroquel.

Even then, we are talking days and not hrs. Some people with depression use meds like seroquel to help them sleep or to relax some and some anti-pyschotics do act very fast in that regard.

The biggest problems may be. One when to start taking them and who would monitor you until you got used to them(on a take as required basis, aka PRN ). Secondly, trying to find a doc to prescribe them on a PRN basis. I don't think many docs will.

I take seroquel once in a while to combat my mania, but my doc only gives me a very ltd supply, no renewals and even at that he puts very specific instructions on it. This covers his butt even if I don't take it exactly as prescribed. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Sorry to tell you Beatrice, but there is no such thing. Antidepressants work by increasing the amount of available neurotransmitters such as Serotonin, Norepinephrine, and Dopamine. This takes some time, weeks actually. In fact it can take approximately 4 to 6 weeks at optimal doses to reach full effect.
      When prescribed, it is usually for a minimum of 6 months, sometimes up to 2 years and in certain circumstances for life.
      AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
      for not being what they believe they should be.
      -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Thanks for info. I was aware of some of it and experienced the delay in medication efficacy myself. It is too bad, if my bad days were just a bit less bad I would be able to manage it Shame but I guess I will just have to deal with what I've got until some genius comes up with something better.
        Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes. - Walt Whitman

Comment

Working...
        X