Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Safe 'til Stable"

Hi,
    See link below regarding medical ID's with the "Medic Alert" symbol for people with Bipolar.

Take Care,
    Karen

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day, saying...
    "I will try again tomorrow."

That was a great article Karen. It's funny but I was looking into a Medic Alert bracelet due to a severe allergy reaction I recently had and was wondering how I could cover all my needs. I guess we think alike. I can't find the "Safe 'til Stable" program on the Canadian medic alert site. Do you know if this is American only? Perhaps it just isn't listed yet.

Thanks again for the information.
    Tracey

Comment

I never noticed if it was American or Canadian , i have this funny habit of assuming websites i am on are Canadian, not sure why, alot of times they are American.
      Hopefully Canada has something similar, I'll do some digging and see what I come up with
      Take Care,
      Karen

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day, saying...

Comment

Yes it is American.

On one hand I like the idea. In one way it puts us on the same footing as someone with Diabetes as far as the identifying of an illness. We often compare if you where diabetic...

On the other hand, the stereotypes are fare from being dispelled and I can still see a lot of problems arising because of prejudgements.

One thing that I do for in case where I am ever incapacitated is, I keep current stubs from my prescription in my wallet.
        Woody

Comment

Yes, I agree with you Woody, you make some good points.

Here is a link for the Medic Alert Foundation Website where the Safe 'til Stable program is available, if anyone would like to read more about the program.

Take Care,
          Karen

Comment

Woody I like the idea of keeping prescription stubs with you. Now why didn't I think of that?
            uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Your pharmacist can also give you a copy of your profile which lists your current meds, strengths and dosages. It's handy to have if you're going to see a new doctor, or another doctor other than your own, or for a trip to the ER.
              AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
              for not being what they believe they should be.
              -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello All. Medic alert bracelets (or necklets) are great and medics are more liable to see them quickly.

However in Cda I find that medic alert is more than what I am willing to pay for. It's a good deal, but I have little cash and $50+ annual fee is a big hit for me. So if you can afford it, it's a good system and they do what they advertise.

Second, I agree with Woody, I don't like the safe til stable.

Third, Guardian drugs automatically lists all of the meds I have taken for the last couple of years on every prescription I get. It's on a wallet sized tear off from my prescription rec. and is called a medication record. It doesn't list repeats etc, just the last time I picked up a certain med. For example Lithium Carbonate shows up only once, as last picked up on May 29th 2010 and my dosage is 300mg, take 2 capsules 3X daily. They go back for about 2yrs.

About once a mth I just put new one of these in my wallet. I also add in red ink that I am allergic to penecillen. Take Care. paul m
                Last edited by paul m; June 10, 2010, 12:40 AM.
                "Alone we can do so little;
                Together we can do so much"
                Helen Keller

Comment

I have gone to the hospital in a coma and no one checked my medic alert bracelet (I don't wear or pay for one anymore), much less a wallet size medication list.

Now if you're conscious and coherent, or someone with you is, the chances of medical staff getting the information they need, however that happens, is way more likely.
                  AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

That's appalling AJ. It sure doesn't give a person much faith in medical personnel. Hopefully what you experienced is a rare occurence. I guess we do what we can and hope for the best. What else is new?
                    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

we do what we can and hope for the best
                      That pretty much sums it up.
                      AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello AJ. I agree with you. I've gone to the hospital and been told that they didn't need a list of what meds I had taken as they already had a list from my family doc(shared by computer).

They weren't impressed with my answer of" No you don't, you know what meds I'm supposed to take, not which meds I actually take or if I'm taking meds that aren't prescribed to me" .

Of course I'm a good boy now and never screw with my meds.

I've also been prescribed penecillen even though I've told them thatI am allergic to it.

Still some drug and jewelery stores do sell necklaces and bracelets for a reasonable price that just say " prior to medical attention, please check wallet card". Take Care. paul m
                        "Alone we can do so little;
                        Together we can do so much"
                        Helen Keller

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
                          I have gone to the hospital in a coma
                          Here's a hug for you I hope that doesn't happen anymore.
                          Take Care,
                          Karen

Comment

Well at least they don't make you wait Karen. No, it's been a long time since I've had a severe hypoglycemic episode.

No you don't, you know what meds I'm supposed to take, not which meds I actually take or if I'm taking meds that aren't prescribed to me"
                            That's what I should have said when I was being non compliant and ended up in ER.
                            AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Truly amazing!
                              Woody

Comment

Working...
                              X