Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things I should already know

Hi everyone.

Since I am on multiple meds, I should probably know this but. Should I be taking them separately? See, I take 3 meds before bed. That = 6pills (no need for evening snack, I'm already full)

Does it make a difference if I take them all at once or each med separately? Sounds silly but I figure it's better to ask than be scolded by my pdoc if she asks. Oh, the drugs don't have interaction issues but I have had a burning going on in my throat for over a week now. Since I recently returned to lamictle, (which tastes awful) I thought it best to ask.

Thanks in advance
    Wishing you well,
    Re-O

You're not as messed up as you think people think you are

Hi Re-O,

I have taken 3 meds at night all the same time before, and that was fine with my pdoc. I guess it really depends on the meds. But I do get heartburn from time to time after i take my meds, I wonder is that what the burning in your throat is?
    Take Care,
    Karen

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day, saying...
    "I will try again tomorrow."

Comment

Hello RE-O. Good Question. Meds vary as to whether you should take with food, water, or on an empty stomach.

I find that if I don't have something to eat(toast is good enough) and if I don't take some liquid with them, then I have more gastric distress. I try to avoid drinking too much before bed time as I dislike getting up 3 hrs later to go to the washroom, but if I cut back too much it's also a problem.

However the #1 guy anyone should ask when they run into problems is their pharmacist. (not your doc) They know a lot more than anybody about solutions to bad reactions to meds.

For anyone from Ontario, if you take 3 prescribed meds or more(any kind) and have a chronic condition, you are entitled to have a 30 minute private consult with your druggist and it's paid for by OHIP. You have to book an appointment and give them a list of all your meds in advance(including OTC's and vitamins).

The druggist will answer all of your questions(about meds, not your illness) and if they you stump them you are entitled to a follow up visit to get the answers. The pharmacist gets 50 bucks for the initial 30 min and 25 for the followup so he's usually happy to do it. It's called medck http://www.health.gov.on.ca/cs/medscheck/index.html for more info. Take Care. paul m
      "Alone we can do so little;
      Together we can do so much"
      Helen Keller

Comment

wow thanks Paul, I didn't know that. I'm going to wander over and get them to share their insight.

Yay for me! I've learned something new!
        Wishing you well,
        Re-O

Comment

Hello Re-O. Just remember that you have to make an appointment and make sure it's the pharmacists that talks to you. I've heard of a certain large company that tried to get the pharamcy technician to do the interview and that's a no-no.

I did not mention this before, but if someone has a large change in their meds(you know, whole new cocktail etc) OHIP will pay for a second interview in less than a year. Take Care. paul m. P.S. Re-O I thought you had bipolar. Everyone with bipolar(myself included) has already gone through stages where we know everything, or alternately, we've forgotten everything.
          "Alone we can do so little;
          Together we can do so much"
          Helen Keller

Comment

oh, I still know everything. See, I know I didn't know that. Which means I still knew
            Wishing you well,
            Re-O

Comment

logos

well logically, if you take them all together, you're sure you haven't forgotten any

(i take 4 meds at night... won't mention the amount of pills )

Comment

Thx for reminding my lxyia, I almost forgot about this thread.

It's been close to a week that I have been taking them one at a time. Still at the same time but sorted by type. I have no throat burn anymore so, oddly enough that was the answer. So, if any of you get that same sensation, this is a solution worth trying.
                Wishing you well,
                Re-O

Comment

yeah i forgot the site for a little while

since i switched lithium i get burns immediatly from the regular.

I learned to stand up for about 5 minutes after taking it and then no pain

Comment

Working...
                  X