Lorazepam - Cognitive Impairment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lorazepam - Cognitive Impairment

I am wondering if anyone has more info on the cognitive impairment that lorazepam may cause and the possibility of it being permanent. All the websites I have found were slim on details. Dosage, duration, type of permanent impairment?
    Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes. - Walt Whitman

Hello Beatrice. A very good question that I cannot give a great answer to. The true answer is that the effects of lorazepam vary greatly from person to person. Everything below is in regard to it's use by a person. The effects and problems may be much enhanced when directly administered by a professional in large dosages. This sometimes happens in minor surgical procedures, when used by dentists, when injected by medical personnel to calm a patient down.

I take lorazepam regularly and it calms me down and/or helps me sleep. Just as it's supposed to do. Others it actually has a reverse effect, it agitates them. Some people even become exceedingly argumentative when they take it.

As far cognitive impairment, I don't have that problem. Others it affects their short term memory. Perhaps they won't remember the chapters in a book they read last night after taking it, that sort of thing. For some, lorazepam , even in very small doses, leaves them groggy the next day. I am not aware of any long lasting cognitive impairment when lorazepam is used as a PRN(take as required) and on an intermittent basis.

Dosage. I average a couple of mg a day, maybe a bit less. Average being the key word. Somedays I don't take any. According to www.drugs.com ,the maximum daily dose is 10mg a day. I have never seen a doctor prescribe even 1/2 of that amount per day on a continual basis.

One of the biggest problems with lorazepam is reduced effectiveness if taken too often. This can lead to greater long term cognitive problems. When the effectiveness becomes reduced then we have to take more and more to get the same effect and unfortunately it becomes less able to help us, while retaining the worst of the side effects.

Duration of effect. Usual maximum is 1-4 hrs with a 9-16 hrs half life. That is after 9-16 hrs 1/2 of it is still in your system.

Mixing lorazepam with booze has an additive effect. Meaning that while a couple of mg of lorazepam or a couple of beer may not affect you, a couple of each may have you quite impaired.

I am sorry that I have not been more definite in my answer, but like most psych drugs, each person has to decide on an individual basis if it will work for them. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Thank-you Paul. It was quite informative. First hand experiences are always a nice bit of additional information too.
      Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes. - Walt Whitman

Comment

Working...
      X