Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self medicating

Hi,

I am very frustrated, since I was suppose to go to TO today, but I just can't get out of bed, I am feeling so tired and depressed.
    I went to see the Pdoc on April 11, but he wasn't available so the resident thought that an increase in Abilify would help with the depression, but it isn't helping at all, if anything it is making things worse due to the tireness I am feeling. So today I have pulled out the old drugs that I had from the previous pdoc to see if there is anything there that might work. I have decided to try 25 mg Lamictal and see if that helps. My next appointment with the pdoc is not until June 15 and the only way to see him earlier is to present to the ER and I really don't want to do that since I have been doing so well. Anyways, my question is does anyone else self medicate with previous prescriptions?

Cheryl

I don't, I think it's a little dangerous. Do you even have enough Lamictal to get you through to June 15?
    Rebecca

Comment

Hello Birdie. Sorry to hear that you are unwell. The short answer to your question is not only no, but H*LL NO.

If you were trying one particular combo that you had tried together in the past, there may not be a problem, but to take out all of your old meds and try one one, could end in a quick trip to the hospital or the morgue.

Some meds react very badly with other meds and there about a 1000 other variables from whether a person smokes to what over the counter meds they take.

At the very least you should phone a phone a pharmacist and see if the two interact.

Abilify will often make you feel more tired in the short run. Unfortunately all you can do is either try and phone your internist back or wait a few days and see if there is an improvement.

In the meantime, vent here some. I know that if I was feeling real tough and I couldn't get to see my doc for a couple of mths I would be ready to vent some. Take Care. paul m
      "Alone we can do so little;
      Together we can do so much"
      Helen Keller

Comment

Hi Birdie,

Taking old drugs from a past combination can be incredibly risky. To further add to the risk, Lamictal in an anti-convulsive as well as a mood stabilizer. With the dose you're taking, I would be surprised if you felt better soon. Not only does it take some time to work, the dose is pretty low so you could risking severe complications with potentially no return.

Being down is definitely very hard to endure and I am sorry to hear things have bee hard for you. Do you have close friends or relatives who could visit you?

For me, when I am in a low I try to find something to do that feel productive. It doesn't always work but the times it does really helps me pull things together. Sometimes, what helps is venting a bit and this forum is a great place to do that. On here, you are with people who know your struggle and can empathize. Please consider other ways.
        Wishing you well,
        Re-O

You're not as messed up as you think people think you are

Comment

I have to a agree with the others on this. It is very dangerous to mix meds on your own. Quite frankly you don't have the knowledge to do so. Any med changes should be done under the direct supervision of your doctor. The med you pulled out of the medicine cabinet might not only interact with the meds or other over the counter drugs you might be taking, it might also be expired. Some drugs not only become ineffective when expired, some of them break down and become toxic. I would recommend that you take the drugs you are no longer on, down to the pharmacy for safe disposal.

I understand your frustration of wanting to get better and being tired of not finding the right drug combo. We're hear to listen so vent away!
          AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
          for not being what they believe they should be.
          -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your responses. It makes me feel better just to know that I am not alone in this struggle. I know it is stupid to try to 'fix' myself by mixing drugs that I have taken before, but I am so frustrated since each day I feel worse. I lie in bed thinking what can I do. My mood has been fairly stable for quite awhile so I haven't had to deal with a depression....the sad thing is is that I know what is coming if I don't get my mood turned around quickly. I am desperate to feel better, since life goes on regardless how I feel. It is so tiring to try to rise above feeling depressed and act as if everything is OK. The people in my life either don't know I have bipolar or are intolerate of any depression. They are fine when I am hypomanic, but oh no depression is not allowed. I just wish the fog would lift and I would get something done rather than just sit around or sleep too much.

Thanks for being there.

Cheryl

Comment

People seem very uncomfortable with depression, I get that same feeling . So I often wonder how many people are "real"? I find there is encredible understanding and caring with so many of the bi polar and depression group . They both lighten my load when I really am at my wits end.
              I think you have come to the best conclusion to stay away from old drugs though I have also been tempted to try that too out of the same tiredness and desparation.

Comment

Hi Birdie,

Depression can be so isolating since most who are depressed don't have the energy to see people, let alone that other people don't tend to want to hang around people who are depressed.. One of my greatest frustrations is with how powerless I feel when things are turning. Of course, that is one of the aspects of this horrendous illness. I try to remember that there are better days.

While reading your post, I began to wonder if it may be season relate. I know there are some who struggle at this time of year. Then, there are the essential elements of feeling well. Proper foods and sleep. Although, I gather that if you are hitting a low, sleep may not be the issue. Sometimes, to make myself smile I wander over to the "sandbox" section of this forum and read over the jokes of funny images. What ever it takes to swing the mood back.

Of course, sometimes, with all of my effort, I can't prevent it. It doesn't mean I am weak or lazy, it means I have a serious illness which has me feeling overwhelmed. I'm glad you've chosen to share with us. I do hope you find peace.
                Wishing you well,
                Re-O

You're not as messed up as you think people think you are

Comment

Birdie thanks for bringing this topic up.
                  This is an issue many of us have dealt with and maybe tried. (I'm guilty). We are sometimes desperate to feel better and that leads us to some unwise choices, But as others have said it's not a good idea at all.
                  Stormy

Comment

I would be really careful with the Lamictal. I take it and you need to increase the dose at a VERY slow pace as it can cause serious and fatal skin rash/pooling of blood under the skin. I've seen pictures and it looks awful. Can you try to rush your pdoc appointment?

be well,
                    astronaut

Comment

Hello Birdie. Stormy's post reminded me of something that I did not say. I should have made clear that I wasn't judging you in any way. One of the reasons I know why trying old meds can be so dangerous is because I have commited every error in the book while being desperate to get better.

Others have made good suggestions and I hope that you feel better soon. Take Care. paul m
                      "Alone we can do so little;
                      Together we can do so much"
                      Helen Keller

Comment

Hello Birdie. How are you making out?
                        uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

The only self-medicating I did was back before I actually sought proper help, and it wasn't in a good way. Now that I am trying to do things in a healthy way, I always consult my doctor before taking anything. I'm still waiting to see the pdoc, so my family doctor has been handling my medications. Lucky for me she is great and I can always call her or make an appt. if I'm having trouble. I would try to see someone sooner rather than play with my prescriptions on my own.

Comment

Working...
                          X