Self-disclosure - bipolar disorder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self-disclosure - bipolar disorder

I have an opportunity to self-disclose publicly about my bipolar disorder. I've been considering and thinking about this for five years and I'm currently studying the pros and cons (I've been stable for five years and am only getting better and better).

I am already in contact with people who have chosen that path, but I'd like to know if any of you have self-disclosed in the media and what were the impacts in your family and work lives.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum PJane92. I have never been so brave as to talk to any media about it. I'm very selective about who I tell. I know others on this forum that have and will probably jump in.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Thank you for welcoming me. Thank you for the reply. By the way, I apologize for my poor grammar, English is not my first language. Thanks for sharing your experience. I totally understand how difficult this might be. I have to admit that I am somewhat scared even if I want to do it and that I have support to do so. I've been reflecting on HOW to do it for five years and it seems that the time has now come after five years of living with my diagnosis and being stable.

Looking forward to reading more from you on the forum,

PJ

Comment

Hello PJane92 and welcome. First your grammar is fine and better than mine and English is my only language. In regards to coming out. I don't work so coming out wasn't a problem. I did lose friends.

I often talk about my illness to educate others and I'm often asked for advice about how to help others. So coming out can have benefits.

However, even though it is against the law, coming out and saying that you have any major illness, could hurt your chances at some jobs or promotion within a company. As well, with a mental illness, or a physical illness, like HIV, Aids, ALS, Muscular Dystrophy, etc some people that you know may decide that they don't want to know you anymore. You also may be pegged as someone with limited potential, whether that be in the job market or doing volunteer work. There is still a lot of stigma out there.

In regards to coming out in the media, I've talked about my illnesses in newspaper and magazine articles, on TV, on line and been a chapter in a book. How did it affect my family. It didn't affect their lives, but most of my siblings and my father didn't like it. The two times I've been on TV I've talked about my life with bipolar and my 2 suicide attempts and my siblings etc were really unimpressed, but then they tend not to think too highly of me anyways.

Celebrities often come out and talk about their illness, some write books and give speeches and sometimes make money out of having a mental illness. However we are not celebrities and more caution has to be used.

On the other hand, I never have to worry about someone finding out about my having bipolar and I know that the people who accept me do so knowing most everything about me. So there are pluses and minuses. Only you can make the decision. Good Luck and Take Care. paul m
        "Alone we can do so little;
        Together we can do so much"
        Helen Keller

Comment

Talking about your mental illness with others is something you've been considering for a long time PJ. It is a big decision and you have obviously given it careful consideration. Do you have supportive people in your life that can help you through the 'rough' spots?

I have one good friend that I've shared much with and I appreciate her friendship so much. I have other friends who don't know, and I will never be as close to them. It's like hiding a huge part of your life from them. If I perceive that someone won't be supportive of me, then I don't say anything about it. There's a cost involved either way. Paul is right, it's a big decision to make.
          AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
          for not being what they believe they should be.
          -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Most of my childhood friends do know because they have grown up with me. They will be supportive without a doubt. I'm also going to be part of an association, the first one in my province to be by and for people who have had mental health issues and I feel like I'm going to have a strong network of support there. For my family, I am not so sure. I sense that they are a lot worried and scared at the moment of my choice. All the other people around me do not know though but I don't mind since I'm having the support of the people who truly matter to me. By the way, I work in the social services field and it's happened that people have spoken up in the media about past mental health issues here. I wouldn't be the first one to do that.

Thanks for your replies!

Comment

Hi PJane92,

If you have the opportunity to self-disclose publicly about your bipolar disorder I say go for it and all the power to you. Personally I think that is about time that peoples like us who are suffering from any type of mental illness educate others who doesn't. There is so many misconception about mental illness that need to be broken. I'm an adult with ADHD and the peoples with who I'm working all knows about it, I was surprise by the reaction of some of them who told me this is a learning disabilities that children suffer from and you are an adult. Yep! lots of misconception out there, they couldn't be more wrong.

I happy to hear that you are stable since the last five years and that you are getting better and better. We need more peoples like you who are willing to stand-up publicly admit that they have what peoples would call mental illness ( I hate that word) but found a way to help themselves successfully like you did.

Comment

Thank you lady wolf. My only concern is not being able to count on my parents. Other than that, I think I'll be okay.

Comment

are there a lot of peer support in mental health and other parts of Canada?

Comment

Hi PJane92, and welcome. I'm pretty new myself here on the forum. A good group of people, very supportive.

Which is more than I can say for many people I've lived with, worked with, played with. Me, I wouldn't disclose except to a very select group of people that are worthy of shouldering the burden of my BP condition. I've seen some people get really burned by their public disclosure, especially and depending on what field of work they're in or what social arena. My situation: I'm a public school teacher, and if people knew that their cildren were being taught by a "lunatic", then it wouldn't go well for me where I am in a smaller community. Just saying, there's stigma out there. I've seen other teachers and various public people get stigmatized and driven from the community. I know...harsh.

Personally, I don't think it's anyone's business what's going on in my head, except for my wonderful circle of support people that have shown themselves to love me for who I am. I guess I don't feel the need to make any public statements.

That being said, if you're in a place where you have strong supports, or work and live in an area or community that is liberal, that might be different. I would love to myself. I would love to have that courage and break down a social barrier.

It's a big decision. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
                    Mark____
                    But nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight
                    Got to kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight ~Bruce Cockburn~

Comment

Thank you for your perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by PJane92 View Post
                        are there a lot of peer support in mental health and other parts of Canada?
                        Sorry for the delay, Yes there is, this is the one that I know about and I'm sure that there are others. The mental health commission is across Canada this is their link http://www.mentalhealthcommission.ca...s/peer-support.

Comment

Hello PJane92, and welcome to the forum!
                          Last edited by uni; February 28, 2015, 10:15 PM.
                          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hello PJ92. In regards to peer support. The peer support system is very fragmented in Canada. There are a lot of reasons for that.

In some areas there is a lot of peer support, other areas none. In some areas there is a lot, but it can be hard to find as a lot of medical professionals do not recommend peer support unless professionally run. Unfortunately there is not enough money to pay professionals to do a lot of the peer support that is now being done by volunteers.

The MMHC, did a large paper on peer support in Cda and in fact did have a lot of good ideas. It's based on proper training and setting up of Peer support groups and workers. The key words are peer support workers. They make it clear that it is a professional job. That would be a nice wish, however the whole project is going no where as no one has the money. Any training that I have seen come out of that paper has been expensive. The MMHC has a lot of resources, does mthly webinars and other things, but does very little in the area of reaching out and setting up programs. I'm not criticizing the MMHC, they do an excellent job in a lot of areas. It's just not part of their mandate to deal directly with consumers on a peer support basis.

There is no national body organizing mental health peer support groups or other activities. I'm pretty much up on a lot of resources dealing with anxiety, bipolar, and depression and it's still a nightmare for me to find out comprehensive information(professional or volunteer) in just about any province, including my own. I'm even more in the dark when it comes to finding out about what's available for other mental illnesses.

There are many conferences available. Canada has several international conventions during 2015 dealing with mental health: The International Society for Bipolar Disorders is having there annual conference this year in Toronto, I'd love to go, but it's $1100 US, plus lodging and travel. The International Association for Suicide Prevention is in Montreal and as a volunteer I could go for a very discounted fee of $400, plus accommodation and travel. Both costs are way out of league and I would presume cost far too much for most people on this forum.

Unfortunately no national body has taken the reins and said this is needed and this is duplicated. Without national unity, we are miles behind places like Australia and N.Z and some parts of Europe when it comes to peer support. The MMHC has made some inroads, but like other places, when they have a conference, they usually offer 20-25 scholarships for consumers to be able to attend for free(not including , meals, transport or lodging). 25 people who can get a subsidized entrance out of a crowd of 500, doesn't give us a very large voice and that is a big problem.

I'm sorry that I got up on my soap box here, but it's something that I feel is lacking in our country. National unity of mental health services and more consumer input. Take Care. paul m
                            "Alone we can do so little;
                            Together we can do so much"
                            Helen Keller

Comment

Hi everyone,

I have made a few phone calls this week to people who have bipolar disorders and have chosen to speak openly about it. They gave me good advices. The only thing I know now is that I am not alone and that is really reassuring.

Comment

Working...
                              X