Hiding or High Functioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hiding or High Functioning

I was just wondering if anyone else has a hard time managing because they hide it well or are very high functioning? I find especially when I'm in the depressive side of this disorder it's hard for people (even my husband) to see because I tend to hide it well and as a result they don't take me seriously until I'm in the process of attempting suicide. Can anyone relate? I'm getting a little better at expressing myself but I find that even if I talk about it, sometimes people don't take me seriously because I AM talking about it. I just find it frustrating because I am doing much better now than I was a couple of months ago but I still have days where my mood dips way below normal and certain thoughts come back but because I can somewhat function through it even the health care professionals won't take me seriously.

Hi MarieD. I can totally relate. I can put on an academy performance when it comes to pretending that all is well in my world! I find doctors don't take me as seriously as I think they would if I wasn't such a good performer. Over the years I have learnt that I need to be honest and up front with my doctors. It's the only way they can be truly helpful. Still, I am highly functional in most aspects of everyday life, so I have to work that much harder at communicating with them how I'm really doing.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

That pretty much sums it up for me. With all of the adversity life deals out on top of the mood disorder it sometimes seems like an exercise in futility. I have coped quite well over the years but this cursed affliction has taken its toll on me and caused me a great deal of undue hardship. As I get older I had hoped to be able to maintain some semblance of dignity whereby a mood disorder would not be the dominating force in my life. I could feel like I actually gave a damn. But, yes, I hide it so very well Marie. I can't help but ponder what life would have been like sans mental illness. Having said all of this though it could always have been a lot worse. The black dog could have much sharper teeth. Maybe I just need spring to arrive.

Comment

Looking back, I can trace my history of depression back at least 35 years. In that time, I have had a successful career, raised a family and even managed to have a great marriage. Still do. I'm retired now. Still like to get involved in the community, but I am constantly masking the symptoms of depression. Often I will have to excuse myself and curl up for a mental health day, ( or week, or even longer). I do not seek any publicity, but I have been open with my affliction. I am sure there are those who do not believe me and I'm past the point of caring.

I was diagnosed about 4 years back, but I remember an incident about 20 years back where I saw an advertisement for participants in a study. The profile they gave matched my symptoms, so I signed up. The intake interview suggested I was far too engaged and animated to be depressed, however there may have been signs of mild depression and maybe I should chat with my doctor. I did and the doctor told me that I really did not want to go there. Long time ago and far away, but I often wonder if things would have been different had this been caught at an earlier stage.
        Last edited by Fighting back; March 11, 2015, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X