Does lithium change who I am?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does lithium change who I am?

So my best friend has recently told me that I am coming off as "snotty" lately... I am assuming since starting my lithium.
    I don't see it. I don't hear it I don't feel it. So, I am usually one to only believe what I can see as a fact for myself. But could it be true. Could lithium change you into something else. The only changes I feel is that my head is quiet and I am not emotionally up and down. I am definetly still iritable. My filter is kinda thin, meaning now I speak up for myself if I feel that someone is very wrong about something . I just need to know, if this drug...changes you. Potentially for the worse. I have such mixed emotions about what she said. I mean, I am not a mean person. Is this going to be worth it. .....

Hi Broken4life. I was on lithium for awhile years ago. I did not find that it 'changed me'. If anything it helped to put me on a more even keel.

It's more likely the illness that can cause irritability. (I get irritable when I'm hypomanic or manic.)

I don't think there's anything wrong with speaking up for yourself, as long as it's done respectfully.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
      Hi Broken4life. I was on lithium for awhile years ago. I did not find that it 'changed me'. If anything it helped to put me on a more even keel.

It's more likely the illness that can cause irritability. (I get irritable when I'm hypomanic or manic.)

I don't think there's anything wrong with speaking up for yourself, as long as it's done respectfully.
      Can I still have hypomania or mania right now? 4 weeks in on lithium at 900mg/ day. When will it stop? See my doctor didn't talk much about the diagnosis just that I had it. My irritability is at its high right now and he upped the dose of Seroquil to 50mg/night ..but I feel too sleepy during the day and I have three kids so I can't afford to be too sleepy. Feels like there is no win Win here.

Comment

When do you see your Pdoc again? He or she is the best one to evaluate your 'state' along with your input of course. You don't have to be hypomanic or manic to feel irritable, that's just when it is most noticeable for me.

I found it helpful to do some reading about the illness and the medication used to treat it. When you're up for it, I think you'll find it worthwhile.
        AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
        for not being what they believe they should be.
        -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Working...
        X