Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As a Bipolar does one feel accepted in an AA group? I don't anymore...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a Bipolar does one feel accepted in an AA group? I don't anymore...

Hello everyone,

My question seems to be going nowhere. The AA group don't want to talk about Bipolar, below is what an AA member wrote to me:

My advice is to just turn the whole thing over to your higher power and pray for the people that are not Bi Polar.

I just want to be accepted and understood but it looks like there is still a stigma in AA groups in regards to Bipolar Disorder. For now attending a group that doesn't understand me is not helping me. I was trying to find how many Bipolars attend AA meetings and if they are beneficial to them. To me it doesn't seem beneficial since it creates in me a lot of anxiety because I am different then some AA members. Maybe in the near future people will accept mental illness. They are now more aware of it but do they really accept it and make you feel part of society? I certainly don't feel like that ... I feel apart from others and your forum seems to be the only place where I am accepted with my Bipolar Disorder.

Thank you for welcoming me into your group.

Sylvie

It must be hard to feel unsupported in a group who's mandate is to support others in their struggle.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

I can't present myself as particularly knowledgeable about either alcoholism or bipolar. I do have friends who are active in AA. The whole question of acceptance of your condition within the AA group is quite interesting. As AJ said, "It must be hard to feel unsupported in a group who's mandate is to support others in their struggle". Unfortunately, it is very possible that this could be happening. Why? Possibly because not everyone who struggles with alcoholism also struggles with a mood disorder, much like not everyone with a mood disorder struggles with alcohol.

I researched the subject of AA's famous 12 step program and found this article to be very informative.

I noticed you mentioned you joined AA and have been sober for 2 years. Please accept my congratulations and support. My friend has been in the AA program for over twenty years and he continues to go to the meetings. It would seem that AA has been quite successful in treating alcohol abuse and I would suggest that if you have found success with that facet of your life, you should continue with that group, however they may not meet your needs for support for bipolar. In many cases, both symptoms go hand in hand, but dealing with an alcohol addiction can be quite a struggle on it's own and the group must maintain focus. It's nothing more than a guess on my part, but I would hope you can find some understanding for the needs of your group. I'm sure you also make a contribution here and it is appreciated.

The stigma and lack of acceptance you mention is often a product of our own illness. Nobody sees the effect on yourself, your friends and family as clearly as you do and it can be very difficult to like yourself in light of such observations. This easily translates to those feelings of isolation and rejection. Sure, some people will be put off, but I find most people are quite tolerant of an unpredictable mood. Everybody has good days and bad days. A mood disorder results when those bad days, or the mood swings adversely affect your ability to function consistently. I mentioned that I have limited knowledge of bipolar. I was diagnosed as having a "significant depressive episode" or a "major depression". I often wonder if I should envy the bipolar as they at least have some good days! My attempt at gallows humour, sorry 'bout that.

Comment

Working...
      X