Assuming bipolar = ***ually overactive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assuming bipolar = ***ually overactive?

Why is it that people in general assume that people with bipolar disorder are usually overactive or obsessed? Not the case! I am so tired of hearing that. Even on television shows or news it is always mentioned. We may have addictive (and even that is exaggerated) personalities but we are not ALL ***ual predators. As a matter of fact, I have quite the opposite problem. So even the medical definition of bipolar disorder NEEDS to be reviewed and re-written. PLEASE!
    Last edited by bibiane; February 18, 2017, 08:38 PM.
    Bibiane

Hello Bibiane. I can understand your frustration. It's not so much the definition of bipolar that needs to be re written but the stereotyping. I think that the latest definition of hypomania/mania there are 7-8 symptoms and to be diagnosed with hypomania you have to have 3-4 of those symptoms, but you don't have to have all of them.

Increased ***ual activity or ***ual indiscretions can be a symptom of bipolar, but not everyone has that symptom. The same goes for most of the symptoms listed. So you are quite right that many people with bipolar never have increased ***ual drives or have ***ual indiscretions and in fact may have decreased ***ual drives.

Unfortunately *** sells , whether it be a tv show, a book or a news story or just gossip.The only way that I have found to fight it is if I see a news article or tv news show that portrays a person with bipolar wrongly I send off an email. Sometimes I get a response sometimes I don't. Take Care. paul m

P.S. Addictions are not a symptom of bipolar, however people with bipolar suffer from a higher rate of addictions than the general public.

"Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Bipolar people are highly misunderstood even clinically. However the book has been written and it is correct. The book is called the DSM the Diagnostic Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. It's not the book that's wrong it's the people that don't read it and make comments based on on specific personal experience that are wrong. All mental illnesses being properly diagnosed is difficult because many illnesses overlap. Example is me I am; type II bipolar; ADHD, compartmentalized (OCD). (OCPD), anxiety disorder, and 20 years of (MDD) Major Depressive Disorder. I can find features of one inside the other and same thing going the other way. the APA states that in the USA only there are close to 2 million people with bipolar in 2007 . And , the population in the USA exceeds 384 million so we are pretty rare birds. It is somewhat understandable that we are misunderstood. But talking about it in public forums like this informs the world as we go along because there are more readers than posters right Paul. But from my research I personally suspect that there are at least another 10 million that are undiagnosed or misdiagnosed. If I don't give all the right information to my shrink out of fear then his diagnoses is technically incomplete and not correct.

Buddy Mack.
      "If we new what we were doing we wouldn't call it research......" Albert Einstein

Comment

Hello Buddy Mack and welcome to this forum. You are correct that there are more readers than posters and forums like this do help to educate the world. Thx for your input . Take Care. paul m
        "Alone we can do so little;
        Together we can do so much"
        Helen Keller

Comment

Glad to be here
          "If we new what we were doing we wouldn't call it research......" Albert Einstein

Comment

I understand what you are saying Paul but I am still so frustrated by people who put everyone in the same basket. We may have bipolar disorder but also have our own personalities, and just like everyone else, our good and bad days. Our disorder does not make us criminals or social misfits. I for one, function very well most days... and I think even ''normal'' people can't always say they do. I feel that most people are afraid to talk to me when they realize I have a mood disorder, Like everyone else, I studied, graduated, had a career, got married, had children and am now retired. The only difference is I had to work harder than most and fight my way through everything. I am probably a stronger person because of my struggles. My disorder is not noticeable to people who do not know me and I work hard at keeping it this way because it is simply easier to socialize. I don't feel judged. I wish my siblings would get that I am not crazy or a bad influence on their kids. Quite the opposite. I raised three sons who are doing very well and are much more aware of mental illness, which probably makes them better human beings.Anyway, needed to vent. GRRRR...
            Bibiane

Comment

Let me tell u what my doctor said ..it's not for him to teach me about bipolar it's up to me to teach him..That's where u need to understand about people ..they don't know anything and they assume but it's up to us to educate them . I had a friend the other day out of conversation said to a bunch of us about him knowing someone who has bipolar who has to be always tied up .. I said to him really give me the guys number and I'll ask him if it's true..he said I'm joking ..when I told him I am bipolar let's just say he got in a defensive mode saying no I meant blablabla.. Alot of idiots but sometimes I ask myself are we really with the problems lol..

Comment

Diabetics and their loved ones go to meetings and conferences to learn more about diabetes, and how to help themselves by eating better and by exercising... Thanks to health professionals, a lot more people have a better understanding of diabetes. So... I ask... why can't that be done about bipolar disorder. Right now, most people I know do not really know what the disorder is or how it is treated. Nor do they know the nuances of the disorder. They hear the word bipolar and are afraid because they think we are all crazy. I have tried to educate some of my siblings and friends but they brush me off cause, you know, I am mentally ill and not very knowledgeable. For that same reason ,I think, and know that they would be more receptive to health professionals. I realize that progress is being made in that area but in general, most people still think that mental illnesses are all about depression and crazy people. Well, I for one do not want to be labelled this way. I consider myself to be a very intelligent and productive woman who happens to have bipolar disorder.
                Bibiane

Comment

Working...
                X