11 years ago .. my new life era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

11 years ago .. my new life era

I immigrated to Canada in 2006 with a wife and two sons .. one was 11 years old .. the other was a baby ( 8 months ) ..

I was very happy to come here .. it was a dream that came true .. I had to work and struggle for 10 years before immigration to save money & start a new life here ..

I was working as an architectural engineer in the Middle East .. my life standards were higher than here .. and I knew from the beginning that it's not easy to maintain all of this in Canada .. I wasn't surprised or disappointed .. I accepted the fact .. I knew that I have to try to keep my professional life as good as it was before .. but if I run out of cash then I have to find a survival job ..

If I compare myself with other engineers coming from Middle East then I have to admit that I'm an exception .. everybody complain about the situation here and then leave his family in Canada and go back to his old job in the Middle East .. only few are lucky to work as engineers or architects here ..

But me .. I refused to go back .. I insisted on staying here and to work as sales associate in Staples Business Depot .. it wasn't well paid .. it was a survival job .. but I'm ok with it .. I was happy ..

My x had different plans, though .. she doesn't need me anymore .. she reached her destination.. she used me to come here & be close to several relatives & friends who arrived here 10 to 20 years earlier than us ..

in brief .. she doesn't want me here with them .. either I go back to my old work & send money to her .. or it's DIVORCE ..

I was in disbelief ..

I was living with a woman who kept her plans in her mind .... & revealed herself only after reaching destination & feeling safe ..

I was used .. I was betrayed .. I felt cheated .. scammed .. it felt like a bad dream but it wasn't a dream .. it was the unpleasant surprise ..

I don't want to talk about unnecessary details of what happened between 2007 & 2011 .. but she got what she wanted in 2011 .. she didn't divorce me .. she kicked me out and disposed me like a useless piece of garbage .. she has two kids & a car and a rented apartment full of furniture & appliances I paid for ..

I found myself lonely and depressed .. living as a single man in a small basement apartment .......

that wasn't easy after getting used to be a family man for 18 years ..

And where the hell did everybody go ? .. no phone calls .. no messages .. Everybody kept in contact with the family .. the only difference is that this family is now 3 members instead of 4 .. one man missing .. so what ? .. life goes on .. and where is this man ? .. where's he living ? .. is he fine ??? .. oh come on .. who cares ?? .. let him take care of himself .. why bother .. singles are not socially accepted .. he's useless now .. forget about him ..

Some of these people wanted to contact me few years later .. but I told them to go to hell .. it's too late to apologize .. my feelings meant nothing to them when I really needed a friend to talk to ..

I had no friends at all .. all my social life was as a family man .. and as a single person I only had Facebook to keep in touch with old friends overseas .. friends I haven't seen for decades ..

My depression was severe .. I found a new job on the first October 2011 in Computer aided design ( CAD ) .. maybe they waited for me to be kicked out first then call me for an interview ..

but I lost that job after few months .. I was totally depressed & absent minded .. couldn't focus at all .. it was a total failure ..

then I found a new different job .. driving a refrigerator truck for delivering perishable produce in bulk ,, it was a night shift job .. working alone .. that was better for me .. no one to see me while I talk to myself .. & cry while driving ..

it was a better change that lasted for two years .. but in the Middle of that something happened.. suddenly BANG .. in April 2013 my older son dropped out of school .. just few weeks after his 18th birthday .. he's an adult now .. and he was two months away from graduation & getting his high school diploma .. but he dropped out.. he was living with his mom .. I didn't know what was going on there ..

That's enough for today

( To be continued )
    Last edited by Jafar the wizard; October 7, 2017, 05:58 PM.

Thank you for sharing some of your difficult journey with us Jafar.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

It's my pleasure AJ

Comment

Breaking up a family is always hard. You have my sympathies Jafar.

I have had a number of friends go through this. Sometimes it is amicable, sometimes not. I think it must be quite difficult in your case as there seems to be a significant betrayal, but I am far from being qualified to comment.

What I can comment on is your remarkable ability to remain focused on your life here. A lesser man may have given up, but you sound like a fighter. That is a quality that will serve you well. It is not easy to give up your professional life and subsist on those survival jobs and I know the system does not always work in your favour. I sincerely hope there are better times ahead for you. Certainly there has been enough hardship!

Good luck my friend!

Comment

Thank you fighting back

Comment

Im sorry that you had to go through all that.
            I admire your strength.
            "Learn from the mistakes of others, you can never live long enough to make them all yourself." -Groucho Marx

Comment

Thank you Mrs Jekyll Hide

Comment

Working...
              X