Please help :( Medication advice for major depression when you are bipolar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help :( Medication advice for major depression when you are bipolar

It’s very frustrating to try and see the mental health clinic where I live in the lower mainland of BC. I feel desperate though... I know they would tell me to go to the hospital again but honestly that seems like so much work and embarrassing etc.

I want to go to the clinic and maybe adjust my medication, try a new one, add one?

Im currently on 50mg of sertraline but it’s not enough. But when I increased it to 100mg in the past it made me have a very manic episode. I don’t want go back on lithium due to side effects.

would Lamotrigine be a good idea?
    what about adding Wellbutrin to my sertraline?

what works for you?

Im verrrry down and debilitated by depression right now. Worst it’s EVER been. I need help

Hi spicegirl85 and welcome to the forum. I hate going to the hospital too, mostly because I appreciate my freedom, not because it's a lot of work. Usually by the time I end up there, I am feeling so badly I don't care what other people think.

It sounds like you're going thru a really rough time right now and a reassessment and adjustments of medication might be in order. I myself can't take antidepressants, it's a guaranteed prescription for mania.

Lithium can be a life saving drug for some bipolar patients, however it does have effects on the body that can be significant (such as its effect on kidney function). It is far superior than lamotrigine for the depressive component of bipolar, although lamotrigine has its place in some patients. I am on lamotrigine. For me, it has been somewhat helpful.

I'm not sure that a combination of sertraline and bupropion (Wellbutrin) would be the answer. Even though Wellbutrin is less likely to result in mania, there's no guarantee that it won't and the combination certainly makes it a greater risk.

Have you been seen by a psychiatrist at the mental health clinic? Is it set up as a one time visit or do they have follow up appointments? Has your family doctor given you a checkup? Sometimes there are physical causes or at least contributing factors to depression. (Low iron or low thyroid for example).

Finding the right medication or combination of medication can take a long time. It is hard work and can be very frustrating. The fact that we are not well while we go through the process makes it even more of a challenge. Our healthcare system is certainly not efficient or seamless. Be persistent until you get the care you need and so very much deserve.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hi Spicegirl85,

Sorry to hear you are in the tight grip of deep depression at the moment.
      I hope that you can find the strength to see a doctor and have your medications evaluated and adjusted.

Take care,
      Kaight

Comment

Sorry to hear about your struggles. It took almost 2 years to find he right cocktail for me. I’m on Effexor, Wellbutrin and Abilify. This medication combo works for me and has kept me stable.

Comment

I take epival and latuda. The epival is a mood stabalizer for mania and latuda is for depression. I also take vitamins: 7000 iu of D, 5000 IU of c, Niacine 500mg, 1000mg of fish oil, 6mg of melatonin to sleep and magnesium citrate when I wake up and go to sleep. Make sure to check with your doctor if there are any medication combinations that vitamins would interact with. I am much better now, I also take zoloft daily. Still working on getting to optimun performance.
          Hope you are well,
          Jesse

Comment

Just curious what kind of side effects did you have on Lithium and how much were you taking per day? Lithium is the oldest tried and true medication and I was on 1500mg a day and now down to 900mg a day and find it is helping me stay stable without any side effects except weight gain.

Comment

Working...
            X