Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over 30 years with bipolar disorder

HI,
    I have been trying to write a post to introduce myself and tell of my experiences with bipolar disorder but there's been so much it doesn't fit in a forum post. So here's a bit for today. I'm 48yrs old, I live in rural manitoba and I was diagnosed with Manic Depression when I was 16yrs old. They still called it that in 1986 at the Brandon Mental Health Center where I attended a special school. My experiences with the mental health systems here were not positive ones and I had a real tough time figuring out life for many years, decades actually. It was a long journey that included addictions, homelessness, extreme instability, suicide attempts, very risky lifestyle choices and trauma.
    Let me throw in just a little personal history, I came from an unstable, dysfunctional, violent, neglectful home as a child. To go along with bipolar disorder I have experienced many other psychological challenges in areas such as trust.
    Anyways, this is all real hard to write out so I will skip 30yrs and tell you about today. Today I am stable. I've been more stable than i had been my entire life for about 14yrs now but especially stable the last 10yrs. The last 6 yrs have been extremely stable for me. I didn't know I could live like this, I have a wonderful life, a warm, comfortable home, a wonderful husband.It was a long long road to get to where I am today and truthfully, I don't know how I survived it but I did. I am now all broken up physically, I've had 2 spinal surgeries and facial reconstruction surgery to repair the physical damages I incurred throughout my journey. I'm old and broken and tired but I push on. I live happy and content. I live a quiet life and I continue to heal inside everyday.
    Today I try to use my experience to help others. I fight stigma, raise awareness, raise funds to donate to mental health causes and I even created some earning opportunities with my last project in which I sold a package of products made by other women with bipolar disorder.
    The feeling of maybe possibly making a difference for just 1 person was amazing! It spurred me to continue! I hope for big things in 2019!
    So yeah that's me
    HI!

Hi River. It sounds like you've been through a lot... the world and this condition can both be very cruel. I'm glad you've found what sounds like stability and peace!
    Pressure makes diamonds....

Comment

Welcome to the forums River and thank you for sharing a little of yourself with us.
      AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
      for not being what they believe they should be.
      -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello River. Thx for sharing. It's always good to hear from someone who has found a way to enjoy life. Take Care. paul m
        "Alone we can do so little;
        Together we can do so much"
        Helen Keller

Comment

What an inspiring post, River! Thank you.
          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Welcome River,

Thank you for sharing! I am glad you are finding some peace in your life - it is very encouraging to know the fight is worth it.

K.

Comment

Working...
            X