No announcement yet.

Textbook Bi Polar Episode Experienced Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Freakout Fabiene. You can use Paul M if you like. You are right I do have a reason for using lower case. It's to remind myself that in the overall scheme of things that happen, that I am pretty small potatoes and to keep a sense of humour LOL.

I have bipolar and I do take meds for it. I take olanzepine, and a low dose of seroquel to help with sleep. I also take lorazepam as needed, which fortunately isn't all that often. AI used to take lithium, which worked well for 20+ yrs, but then my kidneys started to operated at lower rate and I had to switch 18 mths ago. I hated a new med regime, but that's life. It took me a long time to the first medication cocktail, but it worked well for a long time (lithium, tegretol, and lorazepam)

One of my two sons also has bipolar. He takes meds as well. I also have parkinson disease which complicates what I can take.

I tend to be a rapid cycler but my medications have cured that. My main problem with my meds is that they tend to dull down the brain and can cause excessive sleepiness.

My wife is pretty understanding now, mainly because she watched our son get ill. That was tough on us both , but she clued in more. Until then we had a lot of arguments and a couple of separations. If I missed something please let me know or if you have more questions ask away. Take Care. paul m

"Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

I'm On a lot of the same drugs as you. I also tried lithium and it started messing with my kidneys pretty bad after about 8 months or so. It made me REALLY jaundiced and gave me flu-like symptoms so I'm off that one also. I was curious about the olanzapine. If I read right, you take it WITH the Seroquel to help you sleep? Do you find it helps other than that? That is one I have never tried.
      One drug I take that you may find weird is methadone. It really seems to help my mania (not for major ones but for your everyday rapid cycling). I had a boyfriend in 2001 introduce me to heroin- and OH MY GOD it was magic for every psychiatric disorder it seemed. My boyfriend that introduced it to me had REALLY BAD Tourettes and he was a non-violent schizophrenic (yes I met him in an institution) and heroin made him completely normal. No tourettes, no hallucinations...nothing! It was the only drug that did THAT WELL. I was 27 at the time and it was the first time I felt normal and at peace. But doing heroin every day is not practical, so I went on methadone 17 years ago and it actually helps me ALOT psychiatrically. I don't know why nobody has done research on opioids relieving psychiatric issues. BTW, I heard that boyfriend died of a heroin OD in 2011. So, as I said - heroin - not practical, LOL! But methadone has served me well psychiatrically.

Anyway, I have the same issue as you with off and on all day sleepiness. As soon as I turn on the TV it does something to me and I can't get through a show or movie LOL! But I can manage to stay awake if on the computer.

It's funny you say that your son is bipolar also. I have ALOT of cousins on my mom's side and around half of them are bipolar. I am convinced it is genetic.

Your wife sounds awesome. It's great that you have been able to have a marital relationship for that long. (The separations are to be expected. I have a suspicion that we are not easy to live with for normal people). I can't manage that...or they can't manage me LOL. Do you ever take out paranoia on her? I get paranoid that people are trying to trigger my bipolar, like gaslight me. (so stupid). Your wife is awesome. I want a husband like her!

It must kill you that your son is bipolar as well. I can imagine because I have a 27-year-old son. He doesn't have bipolar but he is a late bloomer. He is still on my disability cheque, so he lives off me, and refuses to get a job. The only positive thing is he is FINALLY in college (2nd year) so I look forward to him hopefully moving out by 2021? He is your garden variety alcoholic and computer gaming addict. (never leaves his room). So I understand the stress of having a child with problems and how you blame yourself for their failures or issues.

Anyway, sorry I go on so much. All of my replies are novels lol!

I would really like to hear more about the olanzapine

Hope to hear back from you Paul M.

Comment

Hello Freakout Fabienne. I don't have too much problem with sleepiness unless I take my meds late (after 10pm) I find it best to take them around 9pm and then I'm not so sleepy in the morning. I don't think that I ever took my paranoia out on my wife, other relatives yes, but not my wife. I did sometimes think that she was not helping me enough, but looking back I know that wasn't true. If it hadn't been for her I would have been homeless several times.

I sometimes feel guilty about my son having bipolar, but there is not much that I can do about it. My wife is one in million, most wouldn't have stayed. In regards to olanzapine, it's not my drug of choice (lithium is) , but I can't take lithium anymore so I put up with the olanzapine. Take Care. paul m P.S. I sign my nale in small letters to remind myself not to take myself too seriously.
        "Alone we can do so little;
        Together we can do so much"
        Helen Keller

Comment

Can you recommend a book that tells you how to quit smoking? I just tried vaping, and it didn't help me much. I switched from cigarettes to iqos and smoked it for six months. Then I switched from iqos to vape and have been smoking it for three years. It seems to me that my addiction to smoking has only increased. A couple of months ago, I noticed that I can't even spend an hour without a vape. I even downloaded a pdf textbook online on quitting smoking, but I didn't find anything suitable. I would be grateful for any advice.
          Last edited by Atonic; May 11, 2021, 03:54 AM.

Comment

Hi Atonic and welcome to the forums. The Lung Association has some excellent information here:

There are also some pharmacy programs for people who are quitting smoking.
            AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
            for not being what they believe they should be.
            -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Working...
            X