Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any advice would be appreciated

Hi guys,

I’m here because I don’t really know what to do. I’m a 19 year old girl, and I think I might be a bit bipolar and schizoid. I am seeing a psychiatrist about this but the thing is that she is seeing the whole thing from a DSM criteria perspective whereas I think my main concern is that my symptoms seem to be on the bipolar spectrum. I think I may be on the bipolar spectrum because even though I don’t exhibit the classic symptoms of hypomania, I do have symptoms that resemble them in what seem like subtler ways.
    I’ve done research on the creative temperament, the link between anxiety and bipolarity, and how bipolarity is a spectrum. I’ve always been someone who preferred to live in my imagination rather than with the outside world. For most of my life I preferred to be alone, pursuing solitary activities like writing and drawing, and never felt the urge to socialize more often or actively make friends. To this day, I’m shy, socially awkward with few close friends and I feel like I can’t connect deeply with people because I’m so different in personality and thoughts. I also recently found out that I have a predisposition for mood problems, as some recent events have caused the worst anxiety and depression I have ever experienced so far in my life to occur, and from which I am still trying to recover. I have a depressive personality and temperament, a susceptibility towards mood problems, and a very active mind in the sense that I’m more easily emotionally stimulated than most people I know and grew up with. By emotionally stimulated I mean that I feel more deeper about things and hence, I’m seen by others as an intense person. Lately, I also noticed that I am more likely to become excited or stimulated (get goosebumps/chills/increased heart rate) by intense commercials and other things that wouldn’t have triggered such feelings like this in the past. The depressive temperament and mood issues combined with the fact that I live in my head and create stories kind of resembles the creative temperament that is so frequently associated with bipolarity.

A couple years ago, I listened to a song I really liked and it triggered an ear worm episode that was relentless and kept me awake for the entire night, causing distress and kick starting an anxiety episode. I think that listening to the song made me too emotionally stimulated, but then this makes me wonder why in the world I was so emotionally stimulated to the degree i got something like that for the whole night in the first place. I also have an autistic older brother who has mood swings and mood issues.

I’m just wondering if anyone else has a similar experience like this where symptoms don’t exactly fit the DSM criteria of bipolarity, but kind of resemble it loosely? What are the prognosis of people who are on the spectrum? My psychiatrist doesn’t seem to have a good understanding of bipolarity beyond the classic definitions in the DSM and dismissed my concerns as needless worry.
    I don’t want to think that I am on the spectrum, but at this point, I’m concerned about my behaviours.

Welcome to the forums Aifjjj.

AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello Aifjjj and welcome. The DSM does list a type of bipolar that doesn't meet all of the criteria for regular bipolar. It's called Bipolar NOS. With the NOS standing for Not Otherwise Specified . I have listed several sites where you can get more info. https://www.verywellmind.com/diagnos...ecified-379952 and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipola...wise_specified

It could also be Cyclothymia which is another form of Bipolar https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20371275

I can't guarantee that you have one of the above, but hopefully it will help you decide which questions that you should ask your doctor. Take Care. paul m
      "Alone we can do so little;
      Together we can do so much"
      Helen Keller

Comment

Hi Aifjjj, a lot of what you describe is familiar to me. I'm 60 still very active and physically fit, I've had a creative career as a Software and electronics designer developer.

I've never had any useful help from the medical profession my problems were always attributed to stress etc but over the years I've managed to find things that help me cope, including exercise, diet, meditation some over the counter medication.

I'm retired now apart from some voluntary work, my condition was getting worse until a couple of years ago, I saw a mental health assessor a couple of times, he was confident I had Cyclothymia, now I've researched it it does look like a good fit with the complex type. My moods shift in an annual mainly depressive then hypo-manic then mixed-state then Interval cycle but things can trigger much faster cycles (including ear worms). I saw a psychologist once but enough to put me off, I've talked to people with Bipolar and mono-polar conditions with similar experiences.

I've tried many things thankfully I've discovered some forms of magnesium supplements amongst other things really help moderate my mood swings back to a manageable level. I'm not sure if you are still active in this forum? If you are I've got plenty of info I can share if you'd like which may be of help.

Comment

Hello Milelo and welcome. Thx for your input. In all my decades of seeing shrinks, never once have I been questioned about ear worms. I had to look it up and see what you meant. I would imagine they can be quite annoying. Take Care. paul m
          "Alone we can do so little;
          Together we can do so much"
          Helen Keller

Comment

Hello everyone. I, like Milelo, am in my 60's & have struggled all my life with depression and anxiety. The only thing I have found to ease my racing thoughts and over-sensitivity to external stimuli is meditation. Sometimes, it takes only 5 minutes to ease my mind, other times I need an hour. There are 2 on line sources for meditation that I found so, so helpful. The Calm app is great for times when you need only a light session. But for a more intense session, when you are really overwhelmed, is Michael Sealey on YouTube. He is my go-to when I am paralyzed with racing thoughts and sensitivity. Hope this helps. I have many other little things I've discovered over the years that help and will share them with you whenever you want. HUGS!

Comment

I had to Google more than 4 terms mentioned above in this post
              good to learn

Comment

Working...
              X