Bipolar fog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bipolar fog

Today was incredibly hard. I have what I can only describe as a foggy head. It comes and it goes usually taking its sweet time to go away. It gets so bad, I can’t find my keys, can’t find my wallet. I make mistakes at work by forgetting what I need to do next. I have a hundred sticky notes on the go at work. I can only imagine what they think at work sometimes. When it starts nothing can make it go away except time. I tried to search the forums but not much came up. Is this a me problem or do others suffer with this? I imagine they do. What do people do to get through this? Does anything help? I don’t even know what brings it on.

Hi Delico. I only get that way when I'm in a low-grade depression. Or from certain meds. Otherwise not. The only things that will help me with those is med adjustments and time. I hope you figure it out.
    Pressure makes diamonds....

Comment

Hi Delico, I definitely experience this during episodes of depression, usually at the beginning. It is embarrassing. I have had people ask me if I am even paying attention to them during conversations. I best describe it as feeling as if someone has turned out the lights in my brain. I am sorry you are going through it.

Comment

Hello Delico. Brain fog is a pretty good way of putting it.I know just how frustrating it can be. I don't have any good solutions . I try and battle it by always leaving my keys etc in the same place.and I use sticky notes like you do. Take Care. paul m
        "Alone we can do so little;
        Together we can do so much"
        Helen Keller

Comment

I was hoping somebody had some good ideas but sticky notes and waiting it out seems to be it. Life goes on. Thanks for the responses.

Comment

If I didn't make lists and use the note section in my cell, I'd be hopelessly lost. Following conversations can be a challenge, and people assume you're not listening.
            AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
            for not being what they believe they should be.
            -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

I absolutely agree with AJ on how people may think you are not listening and how it is hard to follow conversations.I struggle with this every day, and usually prefer to keep to myself if I can because of it, it makes me so socially awkward. I have started to stutter too, something I have never done until a little while ago. I am not sure if it is from the medication (Lamotrigine) or my brain racing so fast that my mouth cannot keep up. It was even worse when I was on an anti anxiety medication as welI, it made me a literal walking zombie. It embarrasses me so much, but there is nothing I can do about it. I decided to reach out in these forums because I feel very self conscious and embarassed about how I feel and experience carrying a bipolar type 2 diagnosis, I have only known about a year and a half, but the medical professionals think it started around the age of 16. At least now I have a name for the demon I have battled internally for what seems like an internity now.

My fogginess can get so bad, that I will literally walk to another room 10ft away, and by the time I get there, totally forgot why I went there.Then I feel so embarassed and stupid. My life is written in a daily planner, from work scedule to bills to what I have made for supper (so I do not repeat too often, as I would probably make the same thing 3 days in a week because I keep forgetting). For me that would not be bad, but my spouse may start to get tired of it, lol.

Comment

It is nice to here from other people about the same problems I have. At least the people here have an understanding about what I’m talking about. I try to explain it to “normal” people and they say they understand but they have no idea what it’s like trying to cope each day when your not feeling right in the head. I find I have a really structured life. Buy the same food, keep my clothes organized and in the exact same spot. Keys in the same place and so on. My wife still doesn’t understand how a simple thing like moving keys or placing things where they don’t belong can cause me to have a slow meltdown. I’m always thinking “I know I set it here”. At least here people can understand.

Comment

I agree Dellco, I too have tried to explain it to my spouse and coworkers (those who should know if I am having a rough time - supervisor and boss, the rest its not their concern, do not need to be the talk around the workplace). They are supportive and understanding, but still it can be frustrating because like you say, they do not completely understand because they have never experienced it themselves.

I experience fogginess no matter what mood I am in. I do notice that it does get worse when I am in a low mood. The medication has helped keep me out of the scary lows and highs, but I still have days where I want nothing to do with anything and everything, as it all makes me irratable due to over stimulation. I also find that during low times I cannot get enough sleep, and I can drop and sleep anywhere, which is not like me at all.

Comment

Hi Dellco,
                    I know that sticky notes seem to be the method of choice, to give ourselves reminders, but I personally don't like to use them. I can't stand to see the visual picture of post-it notes everywhere, it makes me feel worse because it visually reminds me of the memory lapses and brain fog I suffer. I also feel like I'm putting my disadvantages on display for others to see. I prefer to use a notebook. I can write anything and everything in my notebook, and it's just for my eyes. I do however use post-its in my notebook, but it's hidden from view.

Comment

Hi Delico, I was like this when I first started my new meds. I felt really sedated on Invega Sustenna and often forgot what I was doing. All I wanted to do was sleep. Could it be your meds? Is this a side effect of medication? For me, I had to get off of that medication and change to a new one. I'm day and night better now. I hope you get the help you need.

Comment

Working...
                      X