Coping strategies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coping strategies

Something very strange happened last week. I had a social situation that I had to participate in and I wasn't looking forward to it. When I got there, I took a deep breath, plastered on my “public” smile, and walked in. The strange thing is that when I walked in, I started talking. A lot. I was a real chatterbox! That's very unlikely me! So much so that when I left, I sat I'm my car, took another deep breath, and was immediately struck with a feeling shock thinking «What was that? What happened in there?». I couldn't believe it. My doctor tells me that he believes it was a coping strategy.

What coping strategies do you have that help you get through?

I allow myself "time outs" during episodes of depression. Rather than fighting it or feeling guilty about my inability to engage I treat it like the illness it is and take some time for self care. For years I was making up excuses for my absences and doubling down on guilt. Instead I simply say I am unwell and it definitely helps.

Comment

Hello Harleem. I also allow myself time outs for depressive episodes. Sometimes I just take a day and cancel everything and just relax , without feeling bad about it. If I'm at a function, party, wedding etc and I take breaks to help me get through. Usually my break consists of a short walk. If I'm a bit hyper I try to a)recognize that I am hyper and then I try and do something about it. In the hypo mania dept my wife helps me by alerting me to the fact that I'm probably hypomanic. Take Care. paul m
      "Alone we can do so little;
      Together we can do so much"
      Helen Keller

Comment

Hello Harleem,

Good question. I am thinking my day is almost a string of coping strategies... a way of trying not to get too lost in my own world so that I might, one day, re-enter the "real-world".

I definitely take days off - I make the decision that I can sleep in, that I will not answer the phone, texts... I can have a list as long as my arm but I won't do anything on it. Just rest. I might read, or binge watch Netflix. The idea is a brain break. I can't do anything like walking... too much time to think!

But my day to day feels like coping too. A routine doesn't come naturally. Even something that one might think of as enjoyable, like a shower, is something I have to make myself do. I don't usually feel better after. I shower because I am pretty sure going places smelling funky and looking like a grease monkey will only make my life that much worse. Even getting out/going for a walk is something I do just because I want to keep my body functioning... just in case I need it one day. There is no guarantee of gratification from getting out of the house though (when I am deeply depressed); I do it because my understanding is that it is good for me.

I so very look forward to a time when a bit of passion and excitement finds it's way into my brain.

Take care,
        Kaight

Comment

Moments mean a lot.

Comment

Working...
          X