I need some insight on how to “do” therapy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need some insight on how to “do” therapy

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/CATHYH~1/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.png[/IMG]I was diagnosed BPII 20 years ago. At the time I was suffering severe postpartum depression. My first experience with antidepressants unmasked my BPII. I spent 4 years in and out of hospital, most of it in a drug induced haze, and came out the other end convinced the whole psychiatric profession was bunk. I was on so much medication I wasn’t allowed to drive and I lost months I can’t remember. It took me years to piece a lot of it back together.

Once I walked away from it all, I convinced myself I wasn’t Bipolar I just had a drinking problem and all I really needed to do was quit drinking. Happy to report 16 years later I’m still not drinking but I was completely wrong about my self diagnosis. For 15 years I managed my “moods” on my own with a SAD light and by becoming an overachiever who shops too much. I lived through several depressions but it never occurred to me until this most recent one to get help.

About 18 months ago I started a severe depression that I was told was triggered by perimenopause. 6 months in, on the verge of a breakdown I finally told my GP. He put me on antidepressants while I waited to find a psychiatrist. I took 4 months off work while I waited and during that time I could barely function.

I was very lucky to find a psychiatrist so quickly and I really like him. I was on an upswing when I met him and apparently I told him I don’t do therapy. We have yet to find a medication combo that helps my depression all he’s managed to do is stop the manic episodes. It’s been a hellish couple of months and I called him this week and told him I think I need therapy. I have all of these thoughts, all the time and the only one I’m talking to is myself.

He told me he could start seeing me more or he could introduce me to a therapist. I went with option A. Now I’m worried. I have no idea what I’m supposed to do. I did group therapy 20 years ago and a brief stint of grief therapy but that’s it.

Does anyone have some advice for therapy as a treatment for depressions? Is therapy an effective treatment for depression?

Hi Psparks,
    i am glad to hear you are getting the help you need. It definitely sounds like you have "been through it." I have also lost large chunks of time, from what I understand your brain doesn't encode memories the same way during periods of depression.
    I do believe therapy is helpful for depression. It gives you a chance to unburden yourself from every negative thought you are carrying around, and perhaps learn tools to combat them. While bipolar depression is an illness, there are things you can do to help mitigate some of it, at least some of the time. In this way, you are given back some control.
    I also think group therapy is wonderful. It does not hurt to do both together, as it is about having a communal experience, which I always found helpful.
    All the best.

Comment

Hi Psparks,
      It sounds like you have been through a lot. I have been dealing with bipolar II since I was 12 years old. I am now 68 years old. I wasn't diagnosed until I was 30 years old and had my last child. I have three. I have had quite a few psychiatrists and group therapy and one on one.
      Presently I am on a cocktail of psychiatric drugs. I see my psychiatrist approximately every three months. I have a caseworker that comes to my house to talk to me. Maybe every 3 to 4 weeks. I can also speak to her on the phone when I am having problems. Therapy has helped me tremendously. Both my psychiatrist and caseworker are very understanding. I would say just talk about anything that is on your mind. Sometimes you think that some feelings are trivial. They are not.
      Sometimes before I see either of them I write down questions. That really helps. When you see them you sometimes forget what you need to talk to them about.
      Remember a lot of people are going through what you do. It may not entirely be the same situations. You can identify though.
      I am now quite stable. Life situations can trigger things though.
      I hope this helps.
      Dragonfly

Comment

Welcome to the forum Psparks. I saw a therapist for quite some time. I found therapy most helpful for dealing with childhood trauma, but the life skills learned have been useful in many aspects of my life.
        AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
        for not being what they believe they should be.
        -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Thanks everyone, I'll give it a try.

Comment

Hi Psparks, welcome to the forum. All the best with therapy!

Kaight

Comment

I could see therapy as being beneficial and effective in treating depression. Depression isolates people from others and there is a natural tendency to experience life all by our selves. One on one therapy and even group therapy can show you that others are going through the same thing and can help with recommendations on what others have done to improve from their current state of depression. Are you in the deep of your depression where you're not wanting to do anything and stay home and not do anything? Just lay on the couch? Not talk to other people? Where are you in the stage of your depression?

I see therapy as being really helpful. Just be open on what you can learn from the therapist and other people if it's in a group setting. You never know what kind of wisdom other people can impart on you.

Comment

Thanks FriedEgg. I’m in that state where I don’t want to interact with anyone or talk at all. I have to interact with people at work but I get to work from home a lot.

Left to my my own devices I wouldn’t talk to anyone so therapy scares me. It will be one on one, I haven’t found a group yet.

I do have one friend who is bipolar. We have coffee sometimes. I feel like she’s the only one who gets me.

Comment

Leverage that relationship with your friend. They sound like they care about you're well-being and understand you. Hang out with them every so often.

The great thing about one-on-one therapy sessions is that no one else needs to know. In the bubble of your conversation with this one person, you can confide in them with what you're struggling with. Hopefully you have a therapist you click with so you can trust and confide in them with your innermost feelings and thoughts. Having support to get out of depression will likely help lift you out of this fog sooner than later.

All the best Psparks.

Comment

Working...
                  X