Just frustrated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just frustrated

As I mentioned in another thread, I have a pretty bad concussion. It's starting to slowly improve, but I know from experience that symptoms will be coming and going for a while yet. I always struggle at this time of year, and head injuries mess with moods, so this hasn't been a good combo for me!

I've been dealing with severe depression and anxiety. Other than my practical exams with their do or die scoring, anxiety isn't something I have unless my moods are super unstable so I'm not good at dealing with it at all! Add to that the fact that all of my go-to people have been MIA. Don't get me wrong, I get that everyone has a life and I'd never want them to drop everything for me, but at the same time there are times I really need someone! My doc doesn't want to add more meds, which I get. Plus I can't take antidepressants since I'm type 1, and most anti-anxiety drugs would slow my brain down too much for school, so what exactly would she add even if she wanted to? The combo I'm on was working really well before the head injury, so why mess with it for something that's not even the bipolar? And the concussion's already messed up my thinking pretty badly, so let's not make it worse! My go-to for depression and anxiety is exercise for the endorphins, but between the dizziness from the concussion and the fact that I broke my kneecap in the same accident that's easier said than done. With that said I'm allowed to do whatever I feel up to, so hopefully soon I'll be able to get to the gym and start trying to fix this. But the dizziness has to go away enough for me to be safe to drive first!

Sorry for such a long post. I just really needed to vent somewhere and I'm pretty in the closet about my bipolar, so there aren't a lot of places where I can talk. Thanks for listening (reading)!
    Pressure makes diamonds....

Vent anytime Gossip. I had a concussion last summer. It wasn't a bad one but still awful. The headaches and mood changes (mostly a short fuse) can really wear you down. It must be awful dealing with the dizziness and not being able to drive, or exercise the way you'd like to.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

I here ya, Just frustrated. With traveling and moving to another province I’m just beginning to have the energy to find a support group. What I discovered I need is to find something that aligns with my values and I really like in person support. That being said I am so glad I found this group.

I know anxiety for me happens with “Stress”. So reducing my stress is key but I have been where you are when doing exams and studying make it impossible. So the next best thing was to take time out for “fun”.....whatever works for you now is the time to do it. I would go get my haircut. As simple as it was it worked every time. So go to your list of fun stuff ( really long hot bath, a good novel or movie, take yourself to your fav coffee shop or restaurant, knit, sew, bake. ...you know) This is not the time to say you don’t have time, this is the time for what I call “critical self care”.

You can get through this.....I’m rooting for you!
      Last edited by Rosey; October 8, 2019, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Thank you both! Regular exercise is a huge part of mood stabilization for me, plus it's something I honestly enjoy. To go cold turkey from 4-6 days a week, in the fall when I already struggle, at a time when something is messing with my moods, at a time when something's messing with my sleep, doesn't make a good situation for my brain at all! And it's been 2 weeks. I feel well enough that I'm going to try to drive myself to school today, and I'm hoping that by this time next week I can cautiously be exercising again. Being mindful of my broken knee of course. But at least things are slightly looking up!
        Pressure makes diamonds....

Comment

I'm glad to hear that Gossip. Regular exercise has to be part of my daily diet for me to do well!
          AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
          for not being what they believe they should be.
          -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Working...
          X