Resigning to bipolar disorder/co morbidity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resigning to bipolar disorder/co morbidity

I am new to this forum, but not new to mental health disorders. I am in my mid-50s, have grown up around family members with unchecked and unmedicated bipolar/personality disorders. I am happy to be one who didn't run into trouble with the law to the point of having a record. Not only am I living with bipolar disorder but I was also diagnosed with ADHD/DID. I am tired of the letters and the labels attached to me by the medical profession. I have never been treated with actual mood-stabilizing drugs, never gave them a chance because of my fear of weight gain. Obesity also runs in the family, so looking back now recognizing my vanity kept me sick over the years. Just reading this makes me sound like a narcissist, another facet of my personality. I mourn for the loss of a successful career, a loving husband and stability. Three things I never had. But we bipolar have to see what it is that makes us special, unique and also recognize that we have fought to get to this point. Joking about life being my job, that statement makes more sense now than it ever has. With a resume that shows job jumping, versatility to an extreme and education, I would be a great employee if I didn't take everything so personally. I didn't come on here to whine (coulda fooled me..lol) I am just wondering who on the forum is taking abilify for bipolar 2, and what sort of success (or not) have you had with the medication? I have been on it for a whopping two weeks, and I feel a big difference. The only side effect being constipation. Granted I am on 5mg of the magical bean. But I am no longer looking at my bottle of Ativan as my best friend or having to use zopiclone for sleep. Any insight or feedback on the medication would be greatly welcomed. I live on the East Coast and our healthcare system is in a meltdown mode here. It took two months to even get an appointment with my GP. Never take your health for granted, and sheer will, I have discovered won't lift you out of a dark place with you are trying to manage bipolar disorder.
    Last edited by aquabee; November 12, 2019, 08:24 AM.

Hi Aquabee and welcome to the forum.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello Aquabee and welcome to the forum. One of the problems when trying to get well from a mental is that we often end up with side effects that adversely effect our other parts of health. I don't take abilify but I do take several antipychotics. Please feel free to use the forum to ask questions, answer other people's question or just use it to vent out some of life's frustrations. Take Care. paul m
      "Alone we can do so little;
      Together we can do so much"
      Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
      X