Bipolar depression psychosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bipolar depression psychosis

Hey, so I've experienced psychosis before during my last manic episode in August, and I'm now in the worst depression I've experienced after being discharged in September. In the past week, I've been hearing a voice that's not my own and it's not in my head, telling me really negative things (you can imagine what sorts of things). I'm seeing my psychiatrist today and I'm scared to tell him because I don't want him to think I'm schizophrenic because I know I'm not. These only occur during mood episodes. Has anyone else experienced this type of psychosis during depression? Any advice or insight could help. Thanks!

Hi nate36 and welcome to the forum. Psychotic symptoms can occurs in depression.

https://www.healthline.com/health/de...-schizophrenia.

The whole article has good information but this section might be of particular interest to you.

Psychotic depression vs. schizophrenia
    MDD with psychosis can sometimes resemble schizophrenia, another mental health condition that involves psychosis. The main difference lies in when psychosis shows up:
    • If you have MDD with psychosis, you’ll only have symptoms of psychosis during an episode of depression.
    • If you have schizophrenia, you’ll have symptoms of psychosis whether you have depression symptoms or not.

While schizophrenia doesn’t always involve depression, many people living with schizophrenia do have symptoms of depression, which can complicate diagnosis of either condition.

But schizophrenia involves other symptoms not necessarily associated with depression, including:
    • disorganized or incoherent speech
    • lack of emotional expression
    • catatonia

Learn more about the symptoms of schizophrenia.

Some people diagnosed with MDD with psychosis later receive a diagnosis of schizophrenia or bipolar disorder with psychosis. This appears more likely for people:
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

I'm not sure if anyone else here has experienced this type of psychosis during depression, but it's possible that someone has and can offer some insights or advice. It's important to remember that you're not alone in this and that there are people who can help you.

Also, just as a quick note, I wanted to clarify that the symptoms you described don't sound like they're related to symptoms of pica disorder, which is a condition characterized by the persistent eating of non-nutritive substances. I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page.​
      Last edited by stasikpasik; March 27, 2023, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stasikpasik View Post
        I'm not sure if anyone else here has experienced this type of psychosis during the depression, but it's possible that someone has and can offer some insights or advice. It's important to remember that you're not alone in this and that there are people who can help you.
        Sure you are not alone in this, thanks for speaking out. Sorry, you are feeling such. You have done the first step of managing such feelings by belonging to this forum and speaking out, next step is the development of a personal safety plan. Include in the plan what will distract you from the thoughts, and activities that will keep you away from the thoughts, if some tasks are keeping you stressed move the deadline, and reduce your expectations from the anticipated results if you can not handle it call the emergency

Comment

Originally posted by stasikpasik View Post
          I'm not sure if anyone else here has experienced this type of psychosis during the depression, but it's possible that someone has and can offer some insights or advice. It's important to remember that you're not alone in this and that there are people who can help you.

Also, just as a quick note, I wanted to clarify that the symptoms you described don't sound like they're related to symptoms of pica disorder, which is a condition characterized by the persistent eating of non-nutritive substances. I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page.​
          Many people have experienced it. You are not alone, in such situations we need to work with our doctors to create an individual safety plan that will act as a distractor from the immediate tension, when we could not achieve what we want or meet up to our expectations, it will be good to accept it positively without self-blame. we need to create an activity that will take our mind off what we are thinking, joining a club, volunteering, etc.

Comment

Thank you for sharing your experience. It takes courage to reach out and seek support. Remember, you're not alone in this journey. It's important to communicate openly with your psychiatrist about what you've been experiencing. They're there to help and provide guidance based on their expertise. Personally, I went to a psychiatrist in NYC, and he helped me a lot to overcome my depression problems. It was the best decision to seek help, and I am glad I did it. ​

If you're looking for additional support, consider reaching out to a bipolar hotline. They can offer a listening ear, understanding, and valuable insights from others who may have gone through similar experiences. Hang in there, and I hope you find the help and support you need.
            Last edited by RunningKnitter; July 22, 2023, 04:58 PM. Reason: Commercial link

Comment

Working...
            X