New medications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New medications

These last two weeks have been absolutely terrible. I have had periods of depression previously but not as long a stretch as this and never as bad. I had a bad reaction to Mirtazapine a few years back and have tried to avoid drug treatment since then.

This week my psychiatrist suggested I try Cipralex. The first day I just didn't know what I had gotten myself into. I don't feel any less tired. I had diarrhea five times, no appetite and still really tired. After I got home from a trip downtown, I stop the car fell asleep in it and lost my keys. I hope it doesn't take long to adjust to this.

I also had my epilepsy drugs adjusted my decreasing the Keppra from 750 to 500 twice daily and increasing Lamotrigine from 100 to 125 twice daily because apparently Keppra can cause thoughts of suicide. And I thought I wanted to get away from Lamotrigine.

Thtufus

Hello Thtufus. Sorry to hear about your problems with the new meds and your worsening depression. Sometimes taking new meds can be a real pain in the butt. (and other places)

I ran your combo of cipralex , Lamotrigine and Keppra through the interaction checker at http://www.drugs.com/ and came up with the following moderate warning when combining cipralex with either Keppra or Lamotrigine. "Moderate warning: Using lamotrigine together with escitalopram may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating" (escitalopram is the U.S. name for cipralex and the cker uses U.S. names) .

All three meds are known to create stomach problems. Cipralex side effects are generally known to subside fairly quickly(no promises). You may want to talk with your pharmacist to see if they can offer any suggestions with reducing the side effects.

Cipralex is also known for working within 2-6wks for reducing depression. However like every other med, results vary by person unfortunately. Good Luck. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
    X