Vacation anxiety - AHHHHH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vacation anxiety - AHHHHH

So I'm generally anoxious and tho I've never been diagnosed with depression I know that I suffer from general emotional sadness. I have been super excited for my vacation to Alberta as I've never been here before. Also I was visiting friends I hadn't seen in a while. The flight was A-OK bUT since I've landed it's been anxiety, anxiety, anxiety. As I sit here and write this is am experiencing overwhelming panic attacks. Things haven't gone according to plan at all and since I've been here I realized I needed something more therapeutic or relaxing. No Ativan and in one of those moods where outside is scary. Anyone have any feedback? I know I speak in generalities but I didn't want to write a novel.

Welcome to the forum Chrisb. Write a novel anytime.

I don't travel well, much less deal with a new busy environment. I'm glad your flight was ok. Can you shift gears and change some of the activities planned for this vacation?

Having things not go as planned is stressful. I'm not one of those people that can generally 'go with the flow'.

I hope your panic attacks get better. They are an awful experience.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

The friend I am visiting is working today and it's a small resort town in Alberta. I am planning on going to the beach hoping the sunshine and distractions will override my anxiety. I'm at a point where I'm wishing I was home and that's definitely not good but all I have to do is get to Friday!
      As for planning activities I didn't plan much beyond coming to visit and I'm just finding myself void of enjoyment and peace.

Comment

Hello Chrisb and welcome. When I have an anxiety attack I try and find some way to ground myself. I literally talk to myself and say things like , this will pass, I know that life produces a lot of anxiety for me, but it's always passed in the past, this is an illness, like the flu, unpleasant , but I will get over it.

All of those suggestions may sound trite or corny and I can't say they will work, but they won't hurt either.

The following sez it better than I can. http://www.anxietycoach.com/overcomi...c-attacks.html Good Luck and I hope that you find a way to enjoy yourself, because having serious anxiety is always miserable and you have my sympathy. Take Care. paul m
        "Alone we can do so little;
        Together we can do so much"
        Helen Keller

Comment

Chrisb I hope the beach helps.
          AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hi chrisb. Alberta has a lot to offer, maybe enough pleasant distractions can help to quell some of your panic.

Does slow deep breathing help you? It can be done inconspicuously when out and about. Are you able to share your feelings with anybody?

I have a phrase similar to what Paul mentioned "This too shall pass" that I say over and over when I feel really anxious. Also, if it's super bad and Ativan is what you need, there may be a walk-in clinic where you can explain your situation to a doctor.

Something that works for me comes from an old book called "Hope and Help for Your Nerves" by Claire Weekes. There are four steps:
            1) face it....
            2) don't fight it....
            3) float through it.... imagine a feather on the breeze, a leaf on a smooth-flowing stream or something similarly calming (I use the feather image)
            4) let time pass... usually this is a few seconds to a few minutes.

I hope you feel calmer soon and are able to enjoy your holiday.

Btw I leave soon for a road trip with family. So I get your anxiety. Ack!
            uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. I'm on my last day and I'm definitely ready to head home. Was a bittersweet trip but I took lots of vids and pics so I can refleft upon the positive side of things when I am home! I guess I have to work on myself more than I thought.

Comment

I find that reflection is a very grounding experience.
                AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

I feel you, chrisb. Anxiety does not ask for permission. It is present in bad and good times. In the start, I thought my anxiety was the cause of stress, but it seems it's psychological. I can recommend the best therapy vacation from my experience. Make a plan with yourtravelitinerary.com for a trip to Hawai and find the deals on hotels, car rentals, and yoga courses. When I first went there, I did not think I would solve my anxiety problem. Now yoga is a ritual for me. I start and end my day with it.
                  Last edited by Sativea; October 12, 2021, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X