Oh dear...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear...

I'm not in the best spot right now. Normally, if I talk aloud to someone aside from myself, I end up putting my foot in my mouth. In most cases it's not pointed out and perhaps is completely forgotten by the other person (people) involved. But, with writing (such as with texting, emailing, etc), I have time to think out what I want to say; it takes me a too-long time to craft what I want to say for anyone to deal with me (even those who excel in patience). But, I spent earlier this afternoon, responding cheekily to a meme posted on Facebook. I misread the meme and made a comment. There were a few responses, but they didn't clear up the issue. In response to my response, the original poster pointed out what I had missed, placing my foot in my mouth with extra firmness. It was a short meme and I really tried my hardest to read it through carefully when the detail that I had originally missed was pointed out to me, to no avail, and the original poster had to walk me through it, wasting his time. I know it's not a valid question, but does anyone know how to become less stupid?

Ah, the perils of Facebook!

Sometimes those memes are very clever, but not everybody interprets things the same way. It seems like when we commit those minor mistakes, we feel we have turned the focus of the entire universe on our failures. It really is not so. The truth is that the faux pas will likely be forgotten as the post sinks into the murky archives of social media. Best course of action is to let it be. You could delete the post you made, but the horse has already bolted from the barn. If someone else was hurt, offer up a quick and cheerful apology and the world will continue to turn. If the only casualty is yourself, the quicker you can put it in the past, the sooner you can get on with things. Better things await, so don't dwell on past mistakes.

Comment

I really enjoy that advice, Fighting Back. Try to make it as quick and painless as possible for you. I agree about the apology though - even just for any situation. Better safe than sorry - I like to apologize as soon as I know I've offended someone (which can accidentally happen a lot...), rather than leave it to brew in my mind.

Comment

Working...
      X