Blog post on Mental Health

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blog post on Mental Health

Ever since I really came to understanding the root of my problems I began posting blogs about mental health every now and then. Just something to help my friends and family understand things better, I thought maybe some people here might like them or get something from them. Here's one I posted today. If you'd like to copy and paste this somewhere else, feel free.

Hey Everybody!

Just here to drop an Important Public Service Announcement about mental health. Don’t worry this one’s short.

We all need to get better at understanding this

Now, that being said, I think we’ve done a pretty bang-up job in the past 5-10 years. Really, you should all give yourselves a pat on the back and firm handshake. We went from telling Phyllis in accounting to “Just cheer up. C’mon, give me a smile.” to at least the vague understanding that Phyllis has got a disease that makes her sad, and saying this is like telling a diabetic “Buck up, Mr. Sweet’N Low. Just get your pancreas to produce insulin like the rest of us do.” That being said, we can still all do better.

The sad fact is that about 1 in 10 people have some sort of Mood disorder. In the immortal words of Strong Bad “Gwah. That is not a small number. That is a big number.” And a whole pile of them go undiagnosed simply because they didn’t understand. I mean, I’ve known something was off with me for pretty much my whole life, but it took me, at 37 years old, to ask my Psychiatrist specifically “Hey, do I have have Dysthymia?” before I was actually diagnosed. That is some pretty piss poor performance by the public (and yes, I suppose the medical establishment as well). Most of us were raised with the understanding that if you were feeling unhappy or anxious, you best just keep that to yourself. Nobody likes a Melancholic Molly.

Well, that’s dumb. Nothing ever goes away simply by ignoring it.
    Except, I guess Jehovah’s Witnesses. Those guys act remarkably well to rejection.

We’re doing good, but we’ve still got a long way to go. Too many people suffer unnecessarily simply because they don’t know anything is wrong. We all need to get better at understanding this.

~ Weasel

Hello Weasal. I agree that we need to do more to inform the public about mental health issues and I'm glad to see that you are trying to educate some people.

Doctors(world wide) have been a little slow to catch on in a lot of cases, especially with illnesses such as dysthymia ,cyclothymic disorder, or factors that contribute to our illnesses like rapid cycling( depression and/or bipolar) mixed states(again various mood disorders) , agitated depression , a variety of anxiety issues that contribute to other disorders and generally a host of other contributing items. But that is my rant LOL.

However the medical profession is slowly starting to come around and more research and data is available on the above named issues, but it will take a while to trickle down.

The best time to educate people about mental illness is when they are young and their minds are still flexible. While it's better than it used to be, various gov'ts are still doing a lousy job of informing our youth about mental illness. The pluses are huge if youth are properly educated, to start with the best time to receive treatment is as soon as possible, but it's hard for a youth(or anyone) to describe an illness that no one talks about and has hidden symptoms (unlike a broken arm which is visible).

According to the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, mental illness is the leading cause of disability in Canada. They report that: The disease burden of mental illness and addiction in Ontario is 1.5 times higher than all cancers put together and more than 7 times that of all infectious diseases. And they also report that: An estimated 75% of children with mental disorders do not access specialized treatment services.

As I said it is a known fact that the sooner a person with a mental illness receives proper treatment the better the likely hood for a good recovery then you think that the gov't would be making every move possible to educate, the general public, the youth and the doctors.

However I continue to rant, when I should be saying, thank you for doing your part to educate others. So thanks for making those blogs. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
    X