Trying to get back to work ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to get back to work ..

I've been struggling to pay my rent recently .. I had no choice but to start looking for a job again .. & I know very well that this option is going to undermine my eligibility for the ODSP .. & my eligibility for Ontario Works Benefits too ..

But I have no better options .. even if I try to move to a cheaper rent .. it's not easy to be approved by a landlord without showing recent pay stubs ..

For me finding a job is not hard .. I have a good resume with good experience in driving straight 5 ton refrigerator trucks for food delivery .. but the real tough challenge for me is to stay in a job after finding it ..

Last month I managed to find a job to drive a straight box truck for delivery of plumbing supplies .. it's not a Ref. Truck but very similar in size .. I started working on May 29 as a full time employee .. I wish I could convince them to work as a part timer .. but they want someone available every business day morning ..

It was kind of a stress .. because the last time I drove a truck was on November 2015 .. however .. I'm doing well & they seem to be happy with my performance ..

For the first time in my life I don't feel happy to have a job .. not only because of my ODSP application .. but because I'm still not sure how things can go .. especially when you can't tell your employer about your mental health conditions ..

Today I'm off work .. I had to attend an appointment for my ODSP appeal .. and I'll have to ask for a day off once every week to finish my personal stuff .. my boss is not gonna like this but I don't care .,

Hello Jafar. I wish you luck with your situation, I know it can be horrible trying to do things just to pay the rent. It must be tough to get up in the morning and/or go to sleep at night. I took serval jobs that I hated and I never lasted at any of them. I couldn't get to sleep at night and/or wake up in the morning. So you have my sympathies.

For a while my son used employment agencies so that he could work when he was able. His deal with the agency was that he would let them know the day before if he would be in the next day. It sure wasn't steady or good paying employment, but it was varied. Ever day was a little different, but he seldom had to do a job more than a week that he really hated. Plus it gave him a little more leeway in taking time off. (He wasn't a trucker, just general labourer) One day he would be a flag man on road construction and the next few days he might be cleaning up a vacant house and the next day there would be no work. Not steady, but he gave him some time to recover and still pay the rent. It wasn't the kind of job that you could do for 20 yrs.

I have no idea if there is even such a thing as an employment agency for truck drivers. I wish you luck with your job and your appts. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Thank you Paul ..
      Yes .. Some employment agencies are only for drivers & forklift operators ..

The question is :
      ​​am I really a truck driver ?
      The answer is an emphatic no ..
      I have a bachelor degree in architectural engineering and All my previous experience before immigration to Canada was is in building design & construction .. But this experience means nothing here ..
      Nevertheless .. I accepted to work all kinds of survival jobs since 2007 .. I accepted it happily because I was ready to sacrifice my career in order to stay here near my family and refused to go back to my employer in the middle east despite the fact that I was well paid there ..
      Last edited by Jafar the wizard; June 7, 2017, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Believe it or not .. The first major reason for my divorce was that attitude of mine .. My x wanted me to go back to middle east and work & send money .. just like if a dad is only an absent family member who's only responsible for providing financial support ..
        I refused to go .. But my x twisted my arm and asked for divorce .. I tried to be more flexible .. I tried to go back to my middle east company and work .. But it was a total failure that worsened my mental state & my depression became severe .. Then the Real Estate Economy Bubble in UAE burst in November 2008 & the Recession made me come back to Canada with no money but only devastating mental & emotional fatigue ..
        Last edited by Jafar the wizard; June 8, 2017, 06:23 AM.

Comment

The result was separation then divorce .. The result was the disintegration of a whole family only to satisfy the hollow unrealistic pride of a woman who wanted To have absolute power in a one leader state .. dictator leader to be precise ..
          She eventually failed & my older son left her too & she was left with only one younger autistic son whom she want to control & keep away from the ( negative ) effect of his dad & older brother .. and it might be only a matter of time before he leaves her too ..
          Last edited by Jafar the wizard; June 7, 2017, 04:10 AM.

Comment

How can a person with bipolar disorder handle all of this without ODSP support ? .. In my opinion I have every right to receive financial support from the government because I'm really surprised I managed to survive all of this without committing suicide .. Not mentioning all the family court drama that my x is insisting on pulling me into it until this moment .. Plus my older son depression & loneliness after dropping out of school few weeks before High school Diploma exams .. and now he's living alone with no school and no job but social benefits to support him ..
            Conclusion .. I think the Ontario Disability Jury think I'm SUPERMAN ..
            Only a SUPERMAN can survive all of this without suicide .. Which means I am not illegible for the ODSP benefits ..

Comment

Hello Jafar. I know that you are having a rough time and you really are superman for having just survived this long. However even Superman had his weaknesses and I'm sure if superman ever ran up against the ODSP board they would say, "what's a little Kyrptonite, never heard of the stuff, get back to work". Superman had many weaknesses , however his biggest was probably his alter ego, Clark Kent. Clark Kent was just like you and many of us. A guy who got pushed around some, but basically was really nice guy.

Right now you strike me as a Clark Kent sort of guy. A real nice guy who can't use his real powers right at the moment and whose enemies are exploiting his weaknesses. Hang in there, eventually you will get your chance to enjoy life once again. Take Care. paul m
              Helen Keller

Comment

Hahahahahahaha
                Kryptonite .. that's a very good example of SUPERMAN weak points .. not only that .. he's only a SUPERMAN when being within a ( yellow ) solar system .. he loses his super powers when he's in a ( red ) solar system ..
                however .. he loses his weak point too .. kryptonite is not a danger anymore when being in a ( red ) solar system ..
                in brief .. being strong & weak is not as simple as people might think .. everything is relative , you know ..
                Last edited by Jafar the wizard; March 14, 2022, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Hello Jafar. Hopefully the sun will turn from red to yellow for you soon. Take Care. paul m
                  Helen Keller

Comment

Thanks again Paul
                    your kind words mean a lot to me

Comment

Hi Jafar. I have been following this thread and just wanted to say how sorry I am that you have to go thru this. You're in a very tough spot.

I hope that things get better for you as you work your way thru the challenges you are faced with.
                      AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
                      for not being what they believe they should be.
                      -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Thank you A J
                        Things will get better .. I haven't lost hope .. but unfortunately it will take much longer time .. I learned this in the past .. money is important .. it saves us a lot of time .. it might not bring us happiness .. but it can certainly Lessen the severity of our suffering ..

Comment

I agree Jafar. Having financial difficulties would certainly add to all the other challenges in life.
                          AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
                          for not being what they believe they should be.
                          -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

I am sorry that you are in such a difficult condition because finding a job is always a difficult task. I have driving pleasure for all categories because I have worked as a driver all my life. And most of the time, I worked for companies that found me themselves. But then, as the pandemic began, many firms and companies went bankrupt and stopped working. Therefore, I was left without a job, and I had to look for a new company, but to successfully pass the interview, I studied tips for the interview a lot to avoid running into problems at the meeting. And they took me for the second interview, and I've been working here since 2020.
                            Last edited by Garganzolla; March 16, 2022, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Hi Gorgonzola
                              thanks for your comment and supportive words ..
                              This post was back in 2017 and it was a terrible year for me ..
                              Luckily .. My application for ODSP was eventually approved in December 2017 and the next five years were much better ..
                              I still struggle with daily life challenges like any other person with mental illness .. but nothing so far can be as terrible as what happened to me during 2017 .. it was a very tough one for me ..
                              I bought a car and started working for lyft and uber on January 2018 and I'm still doing this today in March 2022 .. I only work part time and it proved to be the right choice for me so far ..
                              The last time I worked as a delivery truck driver was in 2017 .. Uber is more convenient for me ..

Comment

Working...
                              X