Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I'm depressed, but what difference does it make?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I'm depressed, but what difference does it make?

For as long as I can remember, I have these "sad" moments. They come randomly and seemingly without cause. Often, they even show up when I'm doing something I love to do. When they come, I feel like no one loves me; all I want to do is cry, but I don't know why; and it feels like my life is going no where and there's nothing I can do to stop it from amounting to nothing. I don't know why I get these "sad" moments. I don't have any diagnosis from a doctor - I haven't asked and I don't want to know, because what difference does it make it I am clinically depressed or just a sad person? Either way, I'm stuck with these moments. What to do...?

Hi Melemi and welcome to the forums. It may sound silly but I actually find focusing on my breathing helps shift my emotions, especially when I'm so upset I'm crying.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello and welcome Melemi. I understand that sort of feeling, and whether it's part of depression or not it feels awful.

Different people handle it in different ways. AJ is onto something with the breathing (it works for me too if I remember to do it!) I can tell you a few of the things that help me and maybe you can take something from it.

Sometimes it's enough just to feel the sadness while I'm in it, wait it out and let it pass. Sometimes I talk with an understanding friend, not to have them "fix" it, just to share how I'm feeling, which is a help. Sometimes I come onto the forum here and put it in words, or write in my journal, or pray. Sometimes I read a self help or spiritual book. I'm also a believer in support groups if any are available. I've made some wonderful friends that way, and now I attend the groups even when I'm well, not just for myself but to give support to others, which in turn helps me feel better.
      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hello Melemi and welcome. Your doctor may be able to help. Many people who suffered severely from depression have gone on to lead productive lives after treatment. Googling celebrities with depression will bring up a long list of famous people who battled depression and overcame it with help from their doctor.Some of them suffered before they were stars and some while they were stars.

Depression is nothing to be ashamed of and affects people in all walks of lives. Take Care. paui m
        Last edited by paul m; October 30, 2018, 08:21 PM.
        "Alone we can do so little;
        Together we can do so much"
        Helen Keller

Comment

The best advice I ever found was on a random youtube comment. It basically it said "if it feels like a problem - it's worth dealing with".

Whether you look things up online, get advice here or talk to a doctor, if these sad moments are bugging you, it's worth doing something about them.

It can be a bit of an annoying process, but I've found analyzing my own sad or anxious moments to be a great help. When do they happen? Where? What's been going on in your life? What do you feel physically? It can be difficult, and sometimes you won't find an actual answer - but sometimes it can give you clues to what is going on and possible changes to make. If you do feel comfortable talking to a doctor, the more you can tell them, the better they can help you.

What ever you chose to do - its worth doing something about it.
          You've made it this far... may as well keep going.

Comment

Hello Sakurei and welcome. Take Care. paul m
            "Alone we can do so little;
            Together we can do so much"
            Helen Keller

Comment

Welcome to the forums Sakurei.
              AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
              for not being what they believe they should be.
              -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Working...
              X