Anniversaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anniversaries

It's weird how anniversaries of sad events can get our attention whether we realize it or not. This past week I was aware of the anniversaries of the deaths of two people in my life, and I felt weepy, and allowed myself a bit of belated grieving. Sometimes though, the anniversary of a sad event will pass before I realize that was what was bothering me. Strange.
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

That has happened to me too Uni. Usually if I notice I'm out of sorts and stop to ask why, I then realize what it's about.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello Uni. That also happens to me, although not always at an anniversary, sometimes it's just at a random time that I suddenly miss someone in my life. Take Care. paul m
      "Alone we can do so little;
      Together we can do so much"
      Helen Keller

Comment

I hear ya Uni...

Often for me it is a time of year that reminds me of the life lost. For example, the first year after my Mom passed I started noticing a tension, or sadness and I couldn't figure out why at first... but after a bit I realized that as spring emerged outside i was reliving the last few weeks of my Mom's life... I thought I was only focused on my Mom while she was sick, but I guess my changing surroundings got merged with the whole experience...

And then there is the end of summer - a time of year just jam packed with memories of life lost.

Or sometimes a certain scent will take me off guard... take me back... a few months ago I was walking buy an apartment and I guess what ever they were cooking for supper was something my Grandmother used to cook - took me back... and she's been gone 10 years!

K.

Comment

Yes I do believe the changing surroundings merge with the whole experience, as you say. As for smells, I don't know if it's been proven, but I remember hearing somewhere that smell memories stay with us the longest.
          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

I believe it Uni... smell memories can come out of nowhere... and take me to places I haven't thought about for so long!

Comment

I should add that sometimes those memories are very comforting (i.e. not always sad!).

Comment

One time, as a middle aged adult, I was walking in a park when I suddenly smelled soap -- the kind that used to be in the washrooms at my elementary school! It took me right back; I recalled that the soap dispensers worked by shaving off thin layers of white bar soap into your hands. Probably hadn't thought of that since I left that school at age 11
                uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Wow! You just never know what flash backs await us!!
                  I have never seen a soap dispenser like that... interesting!

Comment

Working...
                  X