C-ptsd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C-ptsd

Hi all. This post is not strictly about depression, but I’m trying to assess how much trouble I will have with the medical establishment over this semi self-diagnosis. It isn’t in The DSM-V (dropped it at the last minute amidst controversy). Here is the World Health Organization’s definition:

After successfully keeping my life mostly positive with a diagnosis of Major Depressive Disorder and Generalized Anxiety Disorder, the DSM-V came out, I changed GPs and things went downhill. All of a sudden I was diagnosed Bipolar II by one Pdoc and BPD by another. There are symptoms in both (violence, narcissism, risky behaviour, etc.) that I have never manifested. C-PTSD fits me perfectly.

compound this by my basically being locked out of the mostly useless ‘mental health care system’ here in NS, I have basically been untreated for years now.

Has anybody here had any experience with this diagnosis? Ant thoughts/advice on getting this diagnosis recognized? I’m at a point where I can’t even leave the apartment by myself. Life is just pure misery and I can’t get any help.
    “Depression is feeling like you’ve lost something but having no clue when or where you last had it. Then one day you realize what you lost is yourself.” —Unknown

Hi C-ptsd and welcome to the forums. I had to look up the term C-ptsd. I'm sorry to hear of your struggles. Perhaps someone who lives in NS can point you in the right direction. Have you checked with the NS chapter of CMHA? They might be able to connect you with the resources you need.

I have had PTSD most of my life but have learned to manage the symptoms. It required many many years of therapy, but it was well worth it.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello and welcome Paul57. I don't have any answers, but I wanted to say hello. Take Care. paul m
      "Alone we can do so little;
      Together we can do so much"
      Helen Keller

Comment

Thanks Paul m and AJ. No point in CMHA down here, all mental health navigators are employed by the health authority, my GP sucks, etc. No mental health care in NS...
        “Depression is feeling like you’ve lost something but having no clue when or where you last had it. Then one day you realize what you lost is yourself.” —Unknown

Comment

Hi Paul57,

I am sorry to hear you are suffering so badly. I do not have any concrete suggestions, I am sorry. I have not heard good things about the health care in the maritimes...

I lived in rural area for years (in QC) and found getting mental health care pretty tricky... There wasn't anything nearby at first, and I didn't have a car... I got more an more isolated and my depression got so much worse. Thankfully, a clinic opened up nearby and I was able to see different doctor (my family doctor offered me nothing... literally... not even meds.) I was then able to see a social worker for several months. That, along with this forum and reading loads of books, I started to breath again, if ever so slightly. (The clinic is now closed again... something about it not working with the budget... it was always packed!!... )

I guess my point is... is there anyway you can see another doctor? Go to the ER? Are you able to go to NB and try your luck there? Don't let a bad diagnosis be the final answer!! From what I have read it sounds like misdiagnoses are fairly common... if the treatment is not working... it needs to change... trust yourself! and if the doctor is not willing to see that your treatment is not working... look for help somewhere else!

I would be interested in learning more about C-ptsd... but only if you are comfortable sharing.

Take care Paul57, I look forward to reading more from you.

Kaight

Comment

Hello Kaight. Thanks for responding. Can’t see another GP (over 10,000 on the wait list now), ER tells me to go home (6 trips). Can’t go to NB, can’t afford it. As to C-PTSD, check https://icd.who.int/browse11/l-m/en#...tity/585833559

Comment

I am so sorry Paul57, you are certainly in a rough situation. The waiting list for GPs always frustrates me. I am lucky to have a GP, tho she has not been very helpful thus far. I am in QC... we have CLSC clinics and I was able to see another doctor that way... went in with a different ailment but used the opportunity to ask for help with my depression. Do you have similar clinics in NS at all - places you go if you are not in an acute emergency (i.e. not bleeding out or having a heart attack) but still need to see a doctor?

Comment

No, there is only the ER. They’ve turned me away every time and won’t even refer me...the Nova Scotia Health Authority is the enemy.

Comment

What Easterner said. I just got another appointment with the mental health nurse (gatekeeper) who pushed me out the door last time I went to Community Health. Seems their main goal is to avoid ‘wasting’ resources on the mentally ill. Sorry if I sound bitter, but I’ve been fighting for a decade to try and get a diagnosis. I gave up long ago on looking for therapy.

Comment

Went to my appointment. Got a few sheets of paper I could have dl’ed myself and an incomplete diagnosis, along with more admonitions to ‘’fix myself’’. So much compassion...

Comment

When you say "incomplete diagnosis" I'm wondering what that means. Is it possible that even incomplete may have some grain of helpfulness in it, however small?
                      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

The report, as it was explained to me, will say I am dysthymic, ignoring the hypervigilance, the history of abuse, suicidal ideation, multiple trips to the emergency. Urged to seek the help of a private (read, expensive) therapist for my trauma related issues but cautioned that such a course is likely to bring on more trauma! Made me wait fifteen minutes while he printed a few behaviour activation tables, which I first saw on self-help sites 12 years ago. No review of meds, no follow-up appointment, nothing. Sorry, very, very worried. Then this pops up in my news feed. I know things are bad across the country but check this out, from a respected journalist in our region:

Comment

I have a better picture of what you mean now, and it's beyond my understanding why a professional would sidestep such significant things. I think Id be ready to scream! I'm sorry to say I have no suggestions to make right now. If I think of any I will post them.

I checked out the link you gave.. Not much good in any of that, is there? I hate how health care becomes a pawn in the game of politics, and it happens so often All I can say is: when is your next election?!
                          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Don’t think it matters. Been through three Con, two Lib and one NDP gov’t.’s, they all make promises, none of them make any attempt to keep them.

Comment

I hate to say it but Paul57 and Easterner are not exaggerating. At least once a week there's a Nova Scotia politician or someone saying we need better mental health care. Then absolutely nothing is done, or worse yet resources are taken away. I got a hospital stay about 8 years ago and that was only because of a suicide attempt. Largely brought on by being given a combination of medications that were known to have a high risk of inducing suicidal behaviour. Not a great thing when you're already one foot out the door.

I don't have a family doctor and I've given up hope of getting one. Going to a walk-in clinic is no way to get proper psychiatric help.
                              I can't even find a support group in my area. For a province with all the social conditions that make the prevalence of mental health issues high and severe, the professionals generally don't have a clue or a care it seems. I applaud the ones that do try and care, but I can't seem to find them.

Comment

Working...
                              X