No announcement yet.

C-ptsd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EggsAndBacon me either. Saw a private pdoc after a 10-month wait this week. His advice was, “don’t be so gloomy...” . Gee, thanks doc...
    “Depression is feeling like you’ve lost something but having no clue when or where you last had it. Then one day you realize what you lost is yourself.” —Unknown

Comment

A note to Paul57... I received your private message, and made up a reply, but when I try to send it I get a pop-up saying I'm blocked from being able to send one. Wondering if you aware of this?
      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Just a note for everyone. In order to use private messaging, it has to be turned on under user settings/account.
        AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
        for not being what they believe they should be.
        -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Thanks AJ. I will check my settings..... just did so, and I have private messaging enabled, which is good to know.
          Last edited by uni; February 18, 2019, 07:13 PM. Reason: took off to check settings... came back again :)
          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Sorry Uni, checked my settings and fixed them. Thanks for the tips to you and AJ.
            “Depression is feeling like you’ve lost something but having no clue when or where you last had it. Then one day you realize what you lost is yourself.” —Unknown

Comment

Hi all. Moved back to NL, things are just as bad here. Kid wants me to move to ON, but I have a buddy who chairs a psych dept in a non-Toronto university there. He says Ford has wrecked CAMH...

Comment

Paul57 I wish you the best of luck
                uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Thanks uni. Been here almost two months, can’t get a place to live, no therapy, rotten transit, etc. Feel like there’s no place for me anywhere...

Comment

I'm sorry to hear you're having such a difficult time getting the support you're looking for Paul57.
                    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
                    for not being what they believe they should be.
                    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hi Paul57, I am so sorry you are struggling. A 10 month wait, needless to say, is ridiculous. And then to be told to lighten up? Yikes. What a slap in the face.

I have been struggling with depression for the better part of 20 years. When someone offers me advice that might be suitable for the newbies of depression, I find myself getting a bit angry and frustrated. I try to focus on the fact that they are just trying to help. I wonder if my frustration comes from having hope that this new person will have the answer, and then realizing that they have nothing to offer. Kind of like bursting the bubble of hope.

Do you know people in NL? Do you have friends/family? I understand that a move is hard and expensive (I am in the midst of one now... what was I thinking?! ). However, if there is anywhere else in this country that you know people, a move to a province with better health care might be worth it. A bigger city offers more options, if nothing else. If one ER gives up on you, there are others to chose from. Maybe one attached to a teaching hospital where the doctors might still have interest in difficult cases.

I find myself wondering if a move to the states would be something worthwhile in my case. I have a friend who moved there a year and a half ago. She has good health care coverage (something not to be overlooked...) She is still in awe over the differences between Canada (notably QC) and the US. She explained, for example, that doctors seek her out instead of vice-versa. They want her business, they want the work. She gets great doctors and no wait times. Now if only the US didn't have all those other problems...

My thoughts are with you Paul57,

Take care,
                      Kaight

Comment

Originally posted by Kaight View Post
                        Hi Paul57, I am so sorry you are struggling. A 10 month wait, needless to say, is ridiculous. And then to be told to lighten up? Yikes. What a slap in the face.

I have been struggling with depression for the better part of 20 years. When someone offers me advice that might be suitable for the newbies of depression, I find myself getting a bit angry and frustrated. I try to focus on the fact that they are just trying to help. I wonder if my frustration comes from having hope that this new person will have the answer, and then realizing that they have nothing to offer. Kind of like bursting the bubble of hope.

*stuff deleted

My thoughts are with you Paul57,

Take care,
                        Kaight
                        Kaight Late reply. Spent 10 years in Halifax as a programmer...can’t abide a screen that makes me respond! Yup, most of my family is here, but along with the medical system, this town was laid out by cows (Bovine Urban Planning)! As to the US, too crazy for me. Last time I took a band through New England it was like a war zone in the big cities (10+ years). I’m no snowbird, and forty years playing music for a living, there’s no health plan...I do have coverage til spring. I Emailed two more therapists tonight...

Okay, I’ve assuaged my guilty conscience...time for bed! Be well...
                        Last edited by Paul57; December 2, 2020, 04:21 AM.

Comment

Hi Paul57; NL is a beautiful province. I was in St. John's for work several years ago and just loved it. The music scene, wow. Doesn't surprise me you played for 40 years if you're from NL and most of your family is there. I hope you find a place to live soon and get the support you need. I used to work at Veteran Affairs back in the 1990's and some of my WWII veterans had PTSD. Did you serve overseas? Maybe you can find some guys who came back from tours and need support and you guys could form your own group. Bigger cities like Toronto have PTSD support groups but it's harder to find in smaller towns. Keep posting here for support. There will always be someone who reads your post and responds.

Comment

Originally posted by Quito View Post
                            Hi Paul57; NL is a beautiful province. I was in St. John's for work several years ago and just loved it. The music scene, wow. Doesn't surprise me you played for 40 years if you're from NL and most of your family is there. I hope you find a place to live soon and get the support you need. I used to work at Veteran Affairs back in the 1990's and some of my WWII veterans had PTSD. Did you serve overseas? Maybe you can find some guys who came back from tours and need support and you guys could form your own group. Bigger cities like Toronto have PTSD support groups but it's harder to find in smaller towns. Keep posting here for support. There will always be someone who reads your post and .
                            Quito Thanks for your reply. Hard times now in the pandemic. “It’s a strange, strange world we live in, master Jack.” Namaste...
                            Last edited by Paul57; December 14, 2020, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Can you get a referral to a psychiatrist? I know the wait is really long, at least a year here in Ontario. One of my diagnosis is C-ptsd. Psychologists are also able to diagnose if you are able to afford one. Call the Canadian Mental Health Association and see if they can help you connect with someone

Comment

Originally posted by Paul57 View Post
                                Hi all. This post is not strictly about depression, but Im trying to assess how much trouble I will have with the medical establishment over this semi self-diagnosis. It isnt in The DSM-V (dropped it at the last minute amidst controversy). Here is the World Health Organizations definition:

After successfully keeping my life mostly positive with a diagnosis of Major Depressive Disorder and Generalized Anxiety Disorder, the DSM-V came out, I changed GPs and things went downhill. All of a sudden I was diagnosed Bipolar II by one Pdoc and BPD by another. There are symptoms in both (violence, narcissism, risky behaviour, etc.) that I have never manifested. C-PTSD fits me perfectly.

compound this by my basically being locked out of the mostly useless mental health care system here in NS, I have basically been untreated for years now.

Has anybody here had any experience with this diagnosis? Ant thoughts/advice on getting this diagnosis recognized? Im at a point where I cant even leave the apartment by myself. Life is just pure misery and I cant get any help.
                                The symptoms of C-PTSD are the same as if you have borderline personality disorder, except you also can't tolerate abandonment, says one peer-reviewed study. It's not in the DSM-5 but it is listed elsewhere. You can be tested for it by contacting a psychologist and asking to take the MMPI-3 and MCMI-IV tests by Pearson.

Comment

Working...
                                X