Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Treatment of Depression in Canada with Psychedelics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Treatment of Depression in Canada with Psychedelics?

I've been reading and hearing a lot about the use of psychedelic compounds as part of a mental health treatment plan. The research looks very promising.

It doesn't appear that there's any research being done along these lines in Canada outside of BC. No, no BC stoner jokes, it's just a fact that BC is where most of the advocacy for research into this is done.

If anyone knows of studies being done in Nova Scotia, I'd be glad to hear about them. I've never done recreational drugs and am generally terrified of psychedelics but not as scared as the depression getting so bad again. I'd really like to get off the depression and anxiety medications. If that would help, it would be worth it.

Hello Eggs and Bacon. It's an interesting topic you bring up.

I've done just a bit of digging, but can't find anything going on in Nova Scotia regarding the use of psychedelics to treat depression.

What I do know is that it's pretty experimental and controversial right now. There seem to be more questions than answers. In some ways it seems promising, but there are some significant unknowns. Studies are taking place in a few different provinces besides BC, but as I say it's all pretty new.

I first heard of the practice only a few months ago, and that was regarding the drug "ketamine". You may know this stuff already, but I'll post the info anyway in case others can use it.

Ketamine has been around a long time as an anesthetic, then hit the street as the illegal "club drug" Special K. So it has abuse and addiction potential. However, studies going on in Alberta, Ontario, and Saskatchewan ( to name a few places) involve administering it in hospitals and mental health facilities to people with treatment resistant depression - with remarkable short-term success in some cases. However, the effects rarely last longer than a few weeks, so repeat treatments may be needed, and the long term effects aren't yet known.

So there's what I've learned about ketamine in a nutshell. I don't know much about any other psychedelic drug treatments, so I don't know if I'm much help. I got first-hand info from a psychiatrist here on the prairies. Maybe if you talk to a psychiatrist in your area (if you haven't already) you can get better information.

Researching the meds we take can be a pain, but well worth it! I hope you find the information you're seeking for your neck of the woods.
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Where are you located uni? I’m on the prairies too. I’m here on behalf of my son (25)

Comment

Sorry for taking so long to reply, 13dreams; I must have missed seeing your post when I was on here last. I'm in Saskatchewan.
        uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

My wife is 64 and has suffered from depression since young adult but has managed. The past 4 years her condition has worsened ...bouts of weeping and wishing she could die... worst last night. She has been taking psycotherapy for 2 years. She went off Mirtazipine 12 months ago and was her old self a few months after. 2 months ago she started to experience depression and has gotten worse. She has been back to her psychiatrist and is back on mirtazipine for past 3 weeks. I am looking into pscilocybin and ketamine (psychedelics). Clinics are springing up globally... one in Toronto with presently 700 members. I have done much research and have seen successes in NewZealand, Austrailia .... US and here and in Europe.... Criminality has been removed from psycedelics and US FDA is issuing fast tract permits siting success from clinical trials. Personal testimonials of relief are many. One psychiatrist commented that these substances are the best thing for past 50 years. I am wishing that this forum may be of some assistance if not just to be able to post is a help for me. Best to everyone ... i wish you hope and a cure.

Comment

Hello bcguy7 and welcome. I don't have any good advice for you on this, but perhaps someone else does. Take Care. paul m
            "Alone we can do so little;
            Together we can do so much"
            Helen Keller

Comment

Welcome to the forums bcguy7.
              AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
              for not being what they believe they should be.
              -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello bcguy,and welcome! I'm sorry to hear your wife is having such a tough time. My heart goes out to you both.

Coincidentally, I happened to see a news article yesterday about a study done on the use of pscilocybin. I'm not sure what news website it was on, but if I can find it I'll post a link.

A single dose of psilocybin, a compound found in 'magic mushrooms,' provides long-term relief of anxiety and depression in cancer patients, a new study finds.

Last edited by uni; January 28, 2020, 05:27 PM.
                uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

.... thank you Uni. Similar to reports coming in from many countries about the new research using these substances which are producing astounding results. I believe after this next regimen of prescribed meds for my wife this will be the next stop.

Comment

I wish you and your wife all the best with her treatment bcguy.
                    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Originally posted by EggsAndBacon View Post
                      I've been reading and hearing a lot about the use of psychedelic compounds as part of a mental health treatment plan. The research looks very promising.

It doesn't appear that there's any research being done along these lines in Canada outside of BC. No, no BC stoner jokes, it's just a fact that BC is where most of the advocacy for research into this is done.

If anyone knows of studies being done in Nova Scotia, I'd be glad to hear about them. I've never done recreational drugs and am generally terrified of psychedelics but not as scared as the depression getting so bad again. I'd really like to get off the depression and anxiety medications. If that would help, it would be worth it.
                      If you want to come of medications, then take supplements and improve your focus on life. Easier said then done, but its possible. I personally have slain some very powerful demons in my 33 years alive. I did it through focus and objective. Go to Holland and Barrett, they can give you something that will make you less dependant on medications. You should always go to your doctor for advice.

Comment

There is a clinic now in Halifax that offers Ketamine treatment. I'll be talking to my psychiatrist abut it this month. It's not covered by any insurance or msi so I'll try and get more info on the costing as well. It is run by two anesthesiologists from the Capital district health authority. After the dozens of medications I've been on and years of cbt I'm at the point of demanding some alternative form of treatment. Ketamine is looking promising. What's the worst that can happen. I don't feel better?

Comment

Welcome to the forum Halifax_hfx. I personally haven't done any research into Ketamine use.
                          AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
                          for not being what they believe they should be.
                          -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello Halifax_hfx and welcome!

I know what it is to have extended periods of depression, and I sympathize. I myself have never been given ketamine; my depression is made livable by meds and therapy and various types of self care, but I'm always interested in the types of treatments available.

It seems there are private ketamine clinics popping up around the country. One reason is that ketamine treatment isn't covered by most, or maybe any, provincial health plans. Here's what I learned from my late psychiatrist, who was what I'd call a pioneer in ketamine use:

The substance itself is cheap, just a few dollars per treatment. What costs money are the professionals - doctors, nurses, etc - needed to administer it and observe the patient during and after treatment. Even people who take the nasal spray version need supervision during use. Ketamine produces effects quickly, not over time like antidepressant pills, and also has addiction potential and "street value", so close medical supervision is required.

From what I understand, ketamine is a life saver for some people, at least in the short term, and not so great for others. I hope your psychiatrist gives you some helpful information. I'd be interested in hearing what you learn.

I do hope you start to feel better soon, whether by means of ketamine or something else.
                            Last edited by uni; January 5, 2021, 06:51 PM. Reason: Spelling
                            uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

In my opinion, depression is a very personal thing, and I think that everyone can work with their brain to calm down any destructive emotions that cause this state. Everything is in our head, and it is vital to understand, firstly, what we want and what is frustrating us. If the result can't be fixed, and you can not deal with it, just let it go and don't worry, because you did your best. Conversely, you definitely know that the problem could be resolved, so put all the concentration and power into your actions. However, the health topic is my power, and I know that medicine is coming of something more, and it starts conquering the virtual part of the world. I didn't know that such case management sites exist as https://www.iinsight.biz/ gives you the possibility to ease your health matters.
                              Last edited by OfericSchim; August 23, 2021, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X