Hospitalization?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hospitalization?

Hi, new user here...first post. I suffer from major depression and am currently in a bad place. I've been off work for a couple of months and have applied for benefits under our long term disability plan. My pdoc thinks it should be approved. I was on Celexa for many years and recently switched to Prozac, hoping for better effect. I've never made an attempt, but I've had persistent suicidal thoughts for several weeks, and I'm not taking care of myself at all...dressing, showering, basic hygiene. I'm looking for some insight on how bad a depressed person has to be before being hospitalized. Does it depend largely on whether there are beds available? Or the ER doc's mood? I've been in our local ER psych crisis unit many times for my son but never for myself. He has bipolar disorder and has been admitted many times, sometimes involuntarily.

Does anyone here have experience going to the ER, waiting for hours, then being told to just go home?

Hello Squirrely and welcome. Some antidepressants(A/D) can have no effect on a persons depression. Every body is different and sometimes what works for one person won't work for some one else. It sounds like you need to talk with your doctor about trying another A/D or changing your dosage.

Going to an ER is always a crap shoot if you are not immediately going to harm yourself. Sometimes you will be listened to other times you will find they go by the phrase that you must be of immediate danger to yourself or others in order to be admitted. If you not of immediate danger to yourself or others that is when they tend to send you home. Not always, but often.

Please feel free to answer more questions, answer other people's questions and/or use the forum to vent out some of life's frustrations. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Thanks Paul. Yeah...'crap shoot' sums it up nicely. I've had some bad side effects from the Prozac...jerking, trembling, racing thoughts, insomnia. I'm just wondering how long I should carry on with it to see if the side effects stop. I'll be following up with my pdoc soon.

Comment

Welcome to the forums Squirrely. I would recommend talking with your pharmacist about your side effects.
        AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
        for not being what they believe they should be.
        -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Just want to say hi and welcome Squirrely
          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hello Squirrely. You ask "how long should I carry on and see if the side effects stop"? That depends on the individual , however my own rule of thumb was 8-12 wks and if I didn't feel better and/or had fewer side effects than I would ask for something different. Unfortunately I didn't discover that for years and I wasted too much time feeling lousy while taking a medication that never was going to work. Plus trying to get my doc to agree was often a challenge.. Take Care. paul m
            "Alone we can do so little;
            Together we can do so much"
            Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
            X