Bad Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Weekend

Ugh. This weekend was a bad one for depression. I ate junk food Friday, Saturday and Sunday so that really didn't help my mood. Mostly I stay away from chocolate and chips or burgers. But I went hard this weekend, oh boy. Comfort eating has plagued me my whole adult life. But it always makes my depression worse so I really can't do it 3 days in a row. Tomorrow is another day.

I'm not coping that well with depression lately. I'm staying home most of the time, and only go out to go to work. I have one friend I meet for coffee or to go for walks. But that's pretty sad that's all I do. Even my cat is looking at me like, really? So I guess one day at a time. But I might have to see my doctor and finally go on some anti-depressants, because I'm crying more lately also.

Hello Quito and welcome. Sorry about your bad weekend. You may find that you need meds on a part time basis. Take Care,.paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Hi Quito and welcome. It may not seem like much, but meeting a friend for coffee or going for a walk, are awesome efforts on your part.

I'm glad you're going to see your MD. I think sometimes people think that if they go on antidepressants, they'll be on them forever. Medication of any kind, for any indication, should always be re-evaluated down the road.

Your cat looks sweet.
      AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
      for not being what they believe they should be.
      -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Thanks very much, Paul and AJ.

Comment

Hello Quito. I'm sorry to hear things have been so difficult. I understand about eating for comfort, I definitely do it too, mainly if I get too tired and/or lonely. Are you still thinking about seeing a doctor?
          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Thanks Uni. I haven't yet seen my doctor. I'm worried anti-depressants will make doing my job harder and i still have 18 months to retirement. If things don't improve this summer (when I'll take lots of walks in the sunlight), I will go and see her.

Comment

Quito it can be hard to deal with work and depression. I hope the walks help. 18 months can feel like an eternity, just keep an eye on how you're feeling. My biggest mistake with my depressions has been waiting too long to get treatment.
              AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

I hear you, AJ. I really do. And thank you for the boost. The way I feel right now is pretty bad. I'm frequently thinking about how quick I'd end my life if there was a painless way to do it. And that's hitting the bottom. So I will see my doc this week. I'll post again later this week once I've seen my doc.

Comment

Yes please do update us.
                  AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

I hope the doctor visit helps you out, whether medication is involved or not. It can be good just to talk to somebody.
                    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

My doctor appointment is this Thursday but this weekend I did something really good. I downloaded an APP called RunKeeper and I started jogging again. Tomorrow will be my 3rd time. Unbelievable how this improves mood. I walk 3 minutes and jog 1 minute until I can jog the full 30 minutes, maybe by the end of May.

I'm still struggling a bit with the junk eating but today was a good day. And today I used up the massage therapy gift certificate my kids gave me for Mother's Day. It was heavenly.

Comment

That's awesome Quito. I used to run early every morning (now I walk because of health issues). The boost in endorphins really helped my mood, and is great for the physical well being too. I ate more wisely too. Running always grounded me.

A massage is such a great treat. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
                        AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

thx AJ. I didn't jog this week because it was all I could do to get to work every day. But I'll go on Saturday. I saw my doc last night and he prescribed Wellbutrin. I was on that before and it works okay. Not too many bad side effects. Hopefully the insomnia will go away after a couple weeks. I take 150 mg for 2 weeks and then go up to 300 mg.

I really want to stick to low carb and the jogging this summer. It's such a challenge to make good choices when depressed. Hopefully with the meds, it will become easier. Thanks for you support.

Comment

Let us know how you do on the Wellbutrin.

Yes it is a challenge to make good choices when we're depressed. Somehow I always managed to get myself out the door for a run.
                            AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Well my jogging plan was short lived. I just hate it. After a week on Wellbutrin I think I'm past the side effects of insomnia, fuzzy numb feeling and slight headache. I still feel really depressed. In a week I go from 150 mg up to 300 mg per day so I'm just being patient and waiting for it to kick in full force.

Comment

Working...
                              X