Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panic Attacks

Hello,

I'm new here and this is my first post. I'm not sure if this forum deals in the topic of Panic Attacks. I'm 49 and have been struggling with Panic Disorder, GAD and Depression since 1997. It was triggered by one time use of smoking pot which I feel was laced with something. In any case, I ended up in the ER and everyone thought I was having a heart attack. My panic, GAD manifests itself with a constant awareness of my breathing. My main fear is flying and being in situations I can't get out of. I do as much as I can to face the fear and do it anyways. I don't get many Panic attacks but recently had one on a 3 hour flight and off course it started as soon as the plane took off. So I suffered greatly for the first hour until I was able to order booze and after a double Vodka and Orange I was able to settle down. I'm taking 30 mgs of Cipralex and 7mg's of Mirtazapine at bed time and .50 mgs of Clonazepam in the morning as I have sever anxiety in the mornings. I consider myself to be high functioning everything else considered. Who else suffers from Panic Attacks which are triggered by flying and how do you deal with them? Any recommendations on med's would be greatly appreciated.

Alfonso

Hello Alfonso and welcome. I'm sorry I don't know what would work with a fear of flying. I try to head off my anxiety attacks prior to them happening. I have a tough time at large gatherings such as weddings and funerals. I take some lorazepam before I go and it seems to help. Take Care paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Welcome to the forum Alfonso. Lorazepam would be my drug of choice in a high anxiety situation, preferably before I'm in it, if it's a known anxiety.
      AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
      for not being what they believe they should be.
      -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Welcome Alfonso!
        uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. My doctor actually gave me a script for Lorazepam recently primarily for flying. Let's hope it takes the edge off. Plus I usually drink before flying too which has been the best anti-anxiety meds for my panic attacks on planes.

Comment

Good luck on your next flight Alfonso
            uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Working...
            X