Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supplementing an A/D with Thyroid hormone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supplementing an A/D with Thyroid hormone?

Hello again!

It's been a while since I last checked in here. I've tried a few different meds since then and my pdoc currently has me on Effexor, 282.5 grams. My mood has improved greatly, but I still have zero motivation to do much of anything, even things I used to enjoy. She just suggested adding 25 micrograms of levothyroxine to 'boost' energy level and motivation. Has anyone else out there tried this? Thoughts?

Hello Squirely. I haven't heard of that before.however it would make sense to me if you have a thyroid problem.. A lot of depressive episodes occur because of Thyroid gland not performing properly. You might want to check with a pharmasit to see if they have heard of this combo. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Hi Squirely. I have seen thyroid used in low doses to augment therapy with an anitdepressant. The appropriate dose can be a bit tricky.

As Paul has pointed out, people who are low in thyroid, hypothyroid, are given thyroid supplement, but it is most often in higher doses then when it's used as an add on with an antidepressant. Hypothyroidism itself can contribute to depression and thyroid levels are one thing that the doc should test when doing an initial assessment.
      AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
      for not being what they believe they should be.
      -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

It's good to hear from you, Squirrely. I'm glad the Effexor seems to be working for you.

I've often wondered if thyroid malfunction is half the problem with a lot of people when it comes to depression (including myself).. Sorry I don't know more about it, so am not much help. But like you I'm interesting in hearing the experience of others.
        uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

I can understand prescribing thyroid meds if there's an issue with one's thyroid function. The thing is, my thyroid function is just fine. I had bloodwork done prior to my appointment with my pdoc, and everything was good. She mentioned it as a possibility to 'boost energy'. This seemed odd to me. I did a bit of research and found nothing to suggest it would boost the effect of the Effexor. I'm also finding it frustrating working with both a pdoc and a nurse practitioner. It seems the pdoc acts as a consultant, while the np makes the treatment decisions based on the pdoc's appointment notes, usually weeks apart. This is in Ontario, a 'Family Health Team' approach. Is anyone else familiar with this? I haven't filled the levothyroxine prescription yet. This also all happened after the np suggested I stop taking my Wellbutrin (150mg) that I'd been taking for many months along with the Effexor. I started having weird vivid dreams and severe lack of motivation, worse than before. Even my mood started to slip back into darkness. I had my regular appointment with my psychologist yesterday, and she suggested I talk to my np about going back on Wellbutrin and forgetting about the levothyroxine. So many cooks!!

Comment

Hello Squirrely. I don't have any good advice. When the doc's were trying to find out what was wrong with me I tried many different combo's of medication before settling on my current regime. Some times it takes a while to get the right medications. While experimenting if a medication didn't work in 4-6 wks I wanted to try something different. Unfortunately I had lost many years trying to find a solution because the doc's were happy if I wasn't trying to kill myself, where as I wanted a reasonably normal life. The docs were often less than eager to try something different and would leave me on a combo for 6-12 mths and longer until I learned to assert myself some. Take Care. paul m
            "Alone we can do so little;
            Together we can do so much"
            Helen Keller

Comment

Thanks Paul. Yeah, I think part of my problem is that I'm pretty negative about the whole medical profession right now, especially psychiatry. I got a response from my NP about going back on Wellbutrin and not taking the thyroid meds. She said she's fine either way, up to me, and wants to stick with our original follow up timeline of two months. I spend 95% of my waking hours sitting in one spot on my couch on the computer. I don't have a lot of hope that I'll ever go back to having a normal life. I'm also terrified that my long term disability benefits will be cut off if I don't do exactly what my NP and pdoc say. I feel worse every time I see a health care practitioner. I'll go back to Wellbutrin with Effexor and see what happens I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrely View Post
                Hello again!

It's been a while since I last checked in here. I've tried a few different meds since then and my pdoc currently has me on Effexor, 282.5 grams. My mood has improved greatly, but I still have zero motivation to do much of anything, even things I used to enjoy. She just suggested adding 25 micrograms of levothyroxine to 'boost' energy level and motivation. Has anyone else out there tried this? Thoughts?
                You may need to think about why you do not have motivation and then work on sorting those issues out. There are triggers for no motivation and no energy that medication will not solve, and it comes from within.

Comment

I just can't understand why did she give you Levothyroxine, even though you don't have any issues with the thyroid function? It's just nonsense! I mean, it's a hormone, a serious medication, not just a supplement. Also, if your only problem is motivation and low level of energy, I would take some plant based medicine, or chaga mushroom. During my exam sessions I always use it, as an additional boost for my brain. It is really working. More than that, it has many other benefits for your health, so you should take it into consideration.
                  Last edited by Lisari; February 17, 2021, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X