Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quitting meds cold turkey after 10 days.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quitting meds cold turkey after 10 days.

Hello,
    WilI be ok if I quit taking Pristiq (50mg a day)...I’ve only been on it for 10 days and the symptoms were very unpleasant ( nervousness, insomnia, major fatigue)....My doctor wants me to switch right away to Cipralex but I’m thinking maybe I can get better without meds ( long history of anxiety/depression but I’ve never taken meds).

Looking for some advice...

Hello TryingToHeal, and welcome to the forum. I have no experience with the drugs you mention but I do know one thing, cold turkey is generally not a recommended way to go off psych medication if you've been on it for an extended period. If you've been on it 10 days, that's a very good question that probably a doctor has to answer. Sorry I can't be of more help; I hope you find a way to work this out.
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Welcome to the forum TryingToHeal
      AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
      for not being what they believe they should be.
      -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello TryingToheal. You might want to ask a pharmacist on how long these side effects will last or what to do to make them easier.Many side effects are only present for a short period of time. Also ask about cipralex as it comes with many similar side effects.Take Care. paul m
        "Alone we can do so little;
        Together we can do so much"
        Helen Keller

Comment

Hi, I've been on Cipralex for almost 2 years. It really helps with my anxiety. I tried once a few years ago, doing without meds, for the first time in 10 years. I felt fine at first but then the old symptoms kept creeping back. It just took a few months for that to happen. I think you should try the Cipralex. Of course, you know yourself better. Whatever you decide, keep seeing your doctor. Talk therapy has been a life saver for me. Wishing you peace and good health.

Comment

We all react so individually to medication. I think 10 days is not that much so quitting cold turkey should be alright. If you want to be 100% sure, you can discuss with your doctor or pharmacist as Paul suggests above. I remember trying Wellbutrin and quitting after a few days because of side effects. What works for one person, may not work for another, so it's good you are paying attention to your side effects. I loved Serzone before they took it off the market in 2003. I only tried Wellbutrin since then, but couldn't take the side effects so I haven't been on anything for years. I just muddle through. Good luck with your search for a medication that works for you. It's trial and error for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by TryingToHeal View Post
              Hello,
              WilI be ok if I quit taking Pristiq (50mg a day)...I’ve only been on it for 10 days and the symptoms were very unpleasant ( nervousness, insomnia, major fatigue)....My doctor wants me to switch right away to Cipralex but I’m thinking maybe I can get better without meds ( long history of anxiety/depression but I’ve never taken meds).

Looking for some advice...
              It could be because the medication isnt for your health system, or because the dosage is too high. I take olanzapine 15mg. Its a powerful drug puts me to sleep like a baby, so i take a half dosage when i want to wake up early. Perhaps you can speak to your doctor about this issue. They are there to help and assist you in stability.

Comment

Working...
              X