Med with no weight gain for GAD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Med with no weight gain for GAD?

Hello everyone ! Thank you in advance for taking the time to read.

So basically I've been on celexa for the past 7 years, with up and downs with my weight..I've been able to stay fit with alot of workouts and diet but it's hard to maintain and I always gain the weight back... which has been depressing me alot lately..

Right now I'm 15 pounds overweight and I was wondering if there is a medication that would make me loose the weight, I already tried switching to Trintellix and Prozac to no avail.

I've tried Wellbutrin in the past but it couldn't control my depression and anxiety headaches.

Should I just stick to Celexa 10 mg and work harder?

Any help of which medication I could try would be very appreciated

Thanks!

Hello Dreamfall and welcome. As you have found out a lot of meds cause weight gain. I have no good answer for that. I too am 15 lbs overweight(used to be a lot more). I can't seem to lose that 15 lbs. Over the course of my weight loss I always seemed to plateau at a certain weight and had great trouble getting going again. Talking with a dietician helped. I don't know what the rules are where you live, but here in Ontario a visit to a dietician is covered if you are recommended by a doctor. Part of my problem is I simply don't get enough exercise. I do walk a lot, but I do it at too low of speed. I also like a late night snack, just before bed and that is a bad habit. If it was a healthy snack, say carrot sticks or celery, then it wouldn't be a problem. However I tend more to a peanut butter sandwich,which at bedtime I'm just asking to put on lbs. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Hi Dreamfall. I understand the frustration of weight gain made worse by medication. Like Paul, celery is not included in my snack group.
      AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
      for not being what they believe they should be.
      -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

So I shouldn't bother trying to switch meds then?
        thanks for the replies!

Comment

Hi dreamfall, and welcome to the forum! I've never taken Celexa, but I understand how weight gain can contribute to feeling more depressed.
          I've had weight gain sometimes, but not related to meds.
          Sometimes I wonder if the doctors who do the prescribing "get" how much it bothers some people. I'm wondering what your doctor has to say about it, if anything, or whether you feel obliged to figure it out on your own.
          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

It's tough to find a drug that works well for you and then struggle with the added weight gain. There have been times that I've had to put up with extra weight over not being well. However having said that, it's always worth a discussion about it with your doctor. Sometimes there are other options (although many psych drugs can cause weight gain). The challenge is getting the doc to appreciate how much of an issue the weight gain is for you.
            AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
            for not being what they believe they should be.
            -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Originally posted by dreamfall View Post
              Hello everyone ! Thank you in advance for taking the time to read.

So basically I've been on celexa for the past 7 years, with up and downs with my weight..I've been able to stay fit with alot of workouts and diet but it's hard to maintain and I always gain the weight back... which has been depressing me alot lately..

Right now I'm 15 pounds overweight and I was wondering if there is a medication that would make me loose the weight, I already tried switching to Trintellix and Prozac to no avail.

I've tried Wellbutrin in the past but it couldn't control my depression and anxiety headaches.

Should I just stick to Celexa 10 mg and work harder?

Any help of which medication I could try would be very appreciated

Thanks!
              Mental health drugs naturally make a person put on weight, i know this from people i have personally seen and in myself. I suppose you have to do more cardio, eat right, your weight will come down slightly.

Comment

Working...
              X