Mood changes through Depressive Episode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mood changes through Depressive Episode

I am struggling with having good and bad days during my recovery from a depressive episode. On my bad days, I feel so defeated that I wonder if the fight is worth it. On my good days, I continue to get my hopes up that the worse is over. Then - BAM! I am fighting the anxiety and depression all over again. Has anyone experienced this and what have you done to ease the see-sawing?

Hello Sad in Paradise, and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you've been going through depression, I truly know what it's like to be in that space, and I hope that your good days become more frequent. It is a roller coaster ride I know. I wish I had some great tips to ease the see sawing, but mostly I just try and do stuff while I'm feeling good, and be gentle with myself when I'm not, until things level out.

In my experience, getting through depression is like looking through a venetian blind. It will open up a wee bit, just enough to let me see some sunlight between the slats. Then it shuts again and it's dark. After a while it opens again, this time a little wider, before it closes. Next time, the sunlight spaces are wider still, and stay that way longer. This goes on until one day I realize the blind has been open for a while and I had quit paying attention to it. That's what I think recovery from an episode is like. I don't know if I've explained it very well, but in any case I hope you soon see more sunlight, for longer.
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

I was dealing with the same thing. I found that magnesium helped my mood swings immensely. Maybe take a look at that?

Comment

I feel the same way about mood swings. On bad days, like today, it feels as if slightly better days only make it worse by giving me false hope. But I do wonder if a few hours spent in a better mood could be beneficial anyway.
        The one thing I do find protective is the fact that my friends keep checking in and do not assume that laughing or talking or going for a walk means all is now fine while at the same time trying to carry the hope when I can't.

Comment

Thanks, uni for describing how getting through an episode feels. I haven't really experienced recovery since becoming depressed more than two years ago. Hearing from someone who has is somewhat reassuring.

Comment

No matter how long a bout of depression goes on, recovery can happen, no question. The frustration, I've always found, is the trial and error, and the time involved in finding what works for me. Whether it's medication or therapy or information. I guess I'm stubborn underneath, because I keep rooting for things to help with depression, like a dog hunting for truffles. And every once in a while I find a treasure to put it in my tool box to use again later. One of the best tools I have (and hardest to use) is keep in contact with the world, keep reaching out. Especially when I don't feel like it. Posting on here is part of that. This forum has done wonders, and I'm so thankful to have a place to go and babble on, like it seems I've done here.
            uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Originally posted by Sad in Paradise View Post
              I am struggling with having good and bad days during my recovery from a depressive episode. On my bad days, I feel so defeated that I wonder if the fight is worth it. On my good days, I continue to get my hopes up that the worse is over. Then - BAM! I am fighting the anxiety and depression all over again. Has anyone experienced this and what have you done to ease the see-sawing?
              We all go through issues in life that make us feel defeated. Just remain focused on your goals. Have a plan to defeat issues and be ready for new ones. There is evil in this world and as long as there is, we will always have bad days. You and I can expect that.

Comment

Working...
              X