Trying to be calm- ish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to be calm- ish

I'm trying not to let my anxiety, and potential related depression get away on me

I need to have a colonoscopy in a few days and I'm scared. A couple of months back a routine "poop test" came back "abnormal". Of course my mind goes to the worst case scenario which has me with cancer and heaven knows what all involved. I've been doing quite well with just going along and not worrying about it for the most part. After all, the great majority of colonoscopies don't find cancer. They may find other, non life threatening things, or nothing at all. So I remind myself of that. I have no physical symptoms. I saw blood in my stool the day I did the test (something I'd never notice before) but since then none. So these things are in my favour.

About 15 years ago I had a colonoscopy and it was torturous. They didn't give any meds back then to calm you, then part way through the procedure something fudged up with their equipment and I was stuck lying there for an extra 10 or 15 minutes with the nurse talking to me, trying to get my mind off things. The results were fine, not a thing wrong with me. I was being checked out due to having lots of nausea and upset stomach. To this day I believe the cause was too many psych med changes over too short a time.

Fast forward to now. We've got Covid spiralling up where I live. A hospital is not where anyone wants to be, but that's where I have to go. I've never met the doctor who will do the procedure, but I looked him up on the web and he seems ok, no bad reports. I have a friend who will drive me there and back. She's careful about following the Covid rules, as is her family (her daughter works in palliative care) but a couple of grandkids stay overnight with her recently. We;ll have our masks on in the vehicle.

Last spring I was rooting through a cabinet and came across two N95 masks that I'd had for several years and forgot about. My ex-boyfriend gave them to me when I did a bit of sanding. His son worked with drywall and that's how he got them. So I'm considering wearing one, instead of a cloth mask, when I go to the hospital. I don't know if it's a good idea in a way, because what if the workers look at me and think "Why is she wearing that? We might have a shortage down the road." This is how my mind wants to go, to the what-if's.

I was the support person for a good friend who last year had an unexpected abnormal poop test. He ended up having bowel surgery for cancer. He's okay and aside from 6 months blood checkups and a lessened ability to lift stuff he's doing well. But it's all very fresh in my mind. Also losing my brother to cancer this past summer. And when my dad was in his eighties he had colon cancer and got a colostomy bag. So I think anyone in my shoes would have reason for anxiety. Which makes me sort of "normal" I suppose.

Over the next couple of days I have to prepare by going on a special diet and then drinking mega amounts of a special liquid to clean me out. My appointment is super early in the morning three days from now. I don't want to waste these days with worry and feeling down. I think a good cry would be a stress reliever but that hasn't happened. So I'm left with doing the best I can to enjoy the day, use the tools that know work for me, lean on support people as needed,. And of course keep my faith, remembering this too shall pass.

Anyway, that's where I'm at. Now it's time to breathe, take a shower, go for a walk in the nice mild weather, then sit down with a coffee or tea and maybe phone someone.. I have two Christmas cards to write (more if I feel like it) and might even put up my tree (it's out of the storage closet, so that's a start). Tonight I have a 12-step Zoom meeting, which is always good for my perspective; I'm looking forward to it. Tomorrow, as it happens, is a telephone appointment with my psychiatrist. Then a book club (for which I have read no book) Zoom "party" if I feel up to it. And on Thursday another virtual meeting for some volunteer work. So there's no lack of ways to occupy myself.

Now you know way more about my life today than you ever wanted to! I know this post has been lengthy; if you've made it this far, thank you!
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

uni Sorry to hear about your experience. I can sympathize. Today I had bloodwork in the am, CT scan at 6:00 pm. We’re doing okay with COVID19 (NL is an island and they FINALLY closed the Atlantic bubble).

While it is necessary, I find people unapproachable and unresponsive as we’re all masked up. It’s a stressful time for all of us.

Christmas...yes. I haven’t done much about it these last few years, doesn’t seem much point when you’re alone, but my kid sister (56 years old!) and I are headed to my favourite cousin’s place for Christmas Day. Nice to be with family.

My Christmas present comes in April, when my son and daughter-in-law bring my one and only grandchild back for good (she’s my new avatar)!

Anyway, enjoy your nice mild weather, wet and cold on the Rock!

Take care.

BTW, found one last trauma therapist who might be able to see me before my insurance runs out. Cross your fingers for me, please!
    Last edited by Paul57; December 8, 2020, 10:53 PM.
    “Depression is feeling like you’ve lost something but having no clue when or where you last had it. Then one day you realize what you lost is yourself.” —Unknown

Comment

I have had far too many (one is actually too many) colonoscopies over the years, especially the last few years. The prep is gross! We have colon cancer in a 1st degree relative, and I'm also dealing with microscopic colitis. As scary as it is to think about all the 'what ifs', I'd rather know what I'm dealing with then torture myself with all the possibilities. I don't know any significant disease or illness that doesn't benefit from early intervention.

Hospitals are a petri dish of all kinds of bugs, however there are times when we need to pay them a visit. Because of Covid, some are delaying a trip to the hospital, and that delay can be risky depending on what it's for. It sounds like you're doing the right things to minimize Covid exposure risk, especially with your chauffer.

Self care in these wait and see health concerns is so important. Thank goodness for technology. How did they cope in the last pandemic? I never thought I'd be 'zooming' with family, face timing with an old friend, or using google meet to catch up with my old high school buddies.

I wish I could invite you over for a relaxing tea Uni.

AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
      for not being what they believe they should be.
      -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Thank you for the replies Paul57 and AJ, they mean a lot. It's good to be reminded that we all have health issues that need addressing at times, physically as well as mentally. It helps me feel less alone.

Pau57, my fingers are crossed that you get to see that therapist! Also, I noticed that cute little avatar - she's a sweetie for sure

AJ I would pop over for tea in a minute if I could! Thanks for the thought
        uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Good luck at the appointment this morning Uni. Whatever happens, you will deal. You've come this far, facing other challenges and you have good coping mechanisms. Let us know your results as soon as you learn. xo

Comment

Thanks so much Quito I may have said the colonoscopy is today, it's actually tomorrow. I have to be there by 7:30 am. I had a phone check-in with the support lady this morning so that was good. I have to be on liquids and drink the prep solution yet. It means getting up in the wee hours in order to finish it. Fun!
            uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Well, I'm pleased to report that I got the all clear after the colonoscopy! The blood that had been detected by the FIT aka poop test seems to have been from straining while constipated. Could be from a very small internal hemerrhoid but the doctor didn't say that, the nurse did. Regardless - I've very relieved! I took you guys with me as pocket riders!

uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

That's great news Uni! Whew.
                AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
                for not being what they believe they should be.
                -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello Uni. Congratulation's . I too have internal hemorrhoids and I know of the anxiety of not knowing what is wrong, Take Care paul m
                  "Alone we can do so little;
                  Together we can do so much"
                  Helen Keller

Comment

Thanks AJ and Paul
                    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

I don't appear on this forum for months and then pop in. Glad to hear colonoscopy had good results.

Comment

Always glad to hear from you Quito
                        uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Working...
                        X