Sleep Anxiety / Depression.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sleep Anxiety / Depression.

I just have a question and would like some opinions. I had a major depression with a suicide attempt and was hospitalised for the main part of three months. During hospital, to sleep, had a combination of Benzos and zorclone. After leaving hospital, I was on a small dose of Xanax and a prescription of Lithium and Mirtazipine.
    Now, 4 months after hospital, things are OK. However, I am extremely worried about sleep. I am sleeping- but feel that it is the Lithium - Mirtaz which is sedating me.
    I'm very, very worried about becoming dependent on medications to sleep. I know that Lithium and Mirtazipjne are not sleeping pills. But they have a sedative effect.
    So, I'm a little stressed at the moment thinking how I am dependent on "pharmacological sleep"
    Has anyone out there had an experience where they took meds long term for sleep?
    If so,it it POSSIBLE to live / sleep without them?After taking sleep meds,did you go back to normal?
    Would love to hear some of your opinions

Hi FBR. The Lithium and Mirtazapine do not have addictive properties in terms of sleep. (They are not drugs to be stopped suddenly unless necessary for other reasons), I would be more concerned about taking zopiclone and Xanax long term. These drugs can be very difficult to get off and are more appropriately taken on an as needed basis rather then regularly. It would be appropriate in most cases to adjust the Mirtazapine dose to get a better quality of sleep.

One always has to weigh the benefits vs risks of any drug, and the need for any medication should be reevaluated regularly. Having said all that, sleep is a major factor in mood disorders, and getting enough sleep is very important. Once feeling better, sleep usually improves and although stopping medication that can cause drowsiness may initially be an adjustment, sleep patterns usually sort themselves out, and the body regulates it's own sleep patterns.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Thanks for that insight. Anyway, I'm off the Xanax for three months and I don't expect to go back to it.

I really hope you are correct that sleep patterns usually sort themselves out.
      I'm finding the sedative effects of Lithium to be lessening somewhat. I don't expect to go off it but hope while I do, I retain some of its sedative qualities.

Comment

Hello FBR. I understand your concern. Sometimes I've been very very worried about becoming dependent on meds, or for that matter on any substance. I dislike greatly having to take medication for depression. At the same time, I've been around the block enough to know that I'm better off with it than without it, at least for the foreseeable future.

Sleep, in my case, has been erratic, so I don't know what to say there. My meds have been changed numerous times, and I haven't noticed the sleep aspect being an issue, but then again I always feel and do better when rested, bottom line. Also, I haven't taken more than a few "sleeping pills" in my life so am no expert on pills and sleep. I think AJ has given some good information. In reading it I feel better about meds myself; hopefully you will too.
        uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

FBR I hope that's the case for you too. There are non drug measures that can help give us a restful sleep. A routine of up in the morning and off to bed at the same time every day, avoiding daytime naps, and avoiding later caffeine intake can help. Most of the time these measures help me get a better sleep. Of course, there are those 'up all night' scenarios that happen to all of us. Most of the time I'm up with a heavy heart, or a busy mind when that happens.
          AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

When I realize that I have knocked down the regime, I do not sleep for another day.And I go to bed at a time when I want to fall asleep every day.This is how I restore my sleep mode. I hope this helps you.

Comment

Welcome to the forums MaxFargos.
              AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello and welcome MaxFargos. The method you use for sleep is something I'll keep in mind for future reference. Thanks!
                uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Originally posted by MaxFargos View Post
                  When I realize that I have knocked down the regime, I do not sleep for another day.And I go to bed at a time when I want to fall asleep every day.This is how I restore my sleep mode. I hope this helps you.
                  I do the same thing when I have hard times trying to fix my sleep schedule, but sometimes this is not the main reason why I can't sleep. Stress and anxiety have a great influence on the quality of the sleep, and these two factors are the reason of insomnia for a lot of people. When stress and anxiety is affecting my sleep, I use to take some maeng da kratom before going to bed, for its' soothing effect. It helps to get rid of all the negative thoughts from my head, so I have a good sleep and I wake up feeling fresh in the morning.
                  Last edited by Lisari; January 25, 2021, 02:38 PM.

Comment

I was on temazapam for 8 years. Weaned off it slowly but still have problems staying asleep. I would even wake up on temazapam once or twice a night. Have been off it for 4 years now. I take magnesium to help me fall asleep. Must be very diligent with sleep hygiene. No naps. Same hours every day. Limit caffeine intake. No blue light (Phone, tv) for one hour before bed or wear those special blue light glasses. Eat a healthy diet. Exercise. I still wake up two or more times a night. When I have a lot of anxiety, have problems falling back asleep. Also went to a Sleep Clinic and was told that I was not getting any REM sleep on Temazepam. That's why I quit taking it.

Comment

Welcome to the forums Dawter. If I haven't already, welcome to you Lisari.
                      AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Working...
                      X