Treatment Resistant Depression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Treatment Resistant Depression

I have tried numerous different anti-depressants. They all help somewhat but nothing helps with cognitive deficit and motivation. Has anything helped you in these two areas?

Hello Dawter, and welcome! The forum has been unbelievably quiet lately, I can't figure it out, but anyway I hope that doesn't put you off. I relate to your situation because I've been there quite a few times thanks to repeat episodes of depression over many years. All I can give you is my experience.

I've found that taking too high a dose, too low a dose, or the wrong type of antidepressant can give me poor cognition and/or motivation. Which sounds pretty broad I know. I've also found that when I get the right dose of the right medication it's apparent fairly quickly.

Everyone is different. I think the med that helped me the most was an old one, an MAO inhibitor called Nardil. It's still around, but out of favour due to dietary restrictions (so your blood pressure doesn't go crazy and who knows what else). When the newer antidepressants came on the market I was given various combinations of those instead. It has taken a lot of trial and error to find a combination that works. I don't know if this helps, but it's hard to say what will work for another person. Anyway there's my two cents.
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

I don't want to try one of the older antidepressants because I have trouble With Impulse control with eating . I was hoping one of those DNA tests when they became available might help me But I really feel I have tried so many antidepressants That I've probably already had the one that can do the most for me which wasn't enough. Thank you for sharing. Too bad there's not more people on here

Comment

Thanks for replying Dawter. Keep checking back, you never know when someone might pop up with a reply. Meanwhile, I'm wondering if you've ever taken more than one antidepressant at a time - a "cocktail" as they say. I know that's what I've ended up needing.

uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hi Dawter - you've asked the million dollar question. I've tried lots of different anti-depressants also. Some, the side effects were too much for me, while others created new problems like speed talking. I hear you on impulse control. I've used food to medicate for years. I loved Serzone but they took it off the market in Canada because 1 in 100,000 got liver problems.
          Have you tried Amitriptyline? It's an older one. I'm going to give that one a try and will let you know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Dawter View Post
            I don't want to try one of the older antidepressants because I have trouble With Impulse control with eating . I was hoping one of those DNA tests when they became available might help me But I really feel I have tried so many antidepressants That I've probably already had the one that can do the most for me which wasn't enough. Thank you for sharing. Too bad there's not more people on here
            I know that Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) is available in some provinces for people who are NOT helped by medication. Some provinces may be testing TMS in processes called clinical trials. I looked into it after reading a few peer-reviewed studies that say there's evidence to suggest it improves memory. Another option is prescription ketamine which is unlike all the other psychiatric medications. You can learn about it by listening to a YouTube Ted Talk by Rebecca Brachman called "Could a drug prevent depression and PTSD."

Comment

Dawter, I understand totally what you are going through. I have been diagnosed with drug resistant depression even though my doctor still insists I take an anti-depressant. Go figure. Anyway, I am now taking an old drug called Desipramine and have to admit it has helped. I am still depressed but not as bad as I was. I've been on this drug since last fall and I can feel the effects are beginning to were off, which is what happened with all other drugs I tried. The usual fatigue has set in, lack of interest in everything, lack of concentration (or brain fog), and recently I have had suicidal thoughts, not to the point of planning it yet, but this is the natural progression of my symptoms. I did try Ketamine Infusions this past winter and they work wonderfully. However, the effect does not last long and can be very cost prohibitive since insurance does not cover it. I also tried magic mushrooms which worked as well but again the cost was too much for me. (I am on disability pension because of my depression). The next thing my doctor wants to try is Electro-Convulsive Therapy which is covered by my insurance. I will let you know how this works for me.

Comment

Welcome to the forums Sad in Paradise.
                AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
                for not being what they believe they should be.
                -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Sad in Paradise. I am sorry to hear that the effectiveness of your medication is no longer reducing your symptoms. Please continue to work with your doctor to find something that helps. I hope Elector-Convulsive Therapy helps reduce some of your depressive symptoms.

Mocha231

Comment

Sad in Paradise, is there any chance of applying for special coverage for Ketamine or magic mushrooms through your provincial health plan? Or an employee plan, if you're still part of one? Sometimes there's coverage that won't be offered normally, but available if specifically applied for. I realize each province operates differently, but you never know until you try. I've found that a pharmacist often knows more about this than a doctor, at least here in Saskatchewan. I realize each province and insurance provider have their own particular hoops to jump through.
                    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

I tried my employer coverage, no go. And because I had to go to another province for treatment, my home province wouldn't cover it because they don't recognize it as a suitable treatment yet.

Comment

I’m sorry to hear that Sad in Paradise. Is there any sort of appeal process in your province?

Sometimes the manufacturer of medication that is not covered will reduce the cost if asked.
                        AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
                        for not being what they believe they should be.
                        -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Sad in Paradise, that's disappointing to hear. I keep thinking their must be options, like AJ suggested. However, I have a friend who found Ketamine worked, and they rean into the same trouble as you -- cost. This seems to be the case with newer treatments, they take time to get on the radar. I know it might be a long shot, but sometimes a pharmacist knows stuff about access to drugs that doctors don't. I've asked mine questions over the phone. Another thought is, are their drug trials being done that a person could request to be part of? Not sure how to find out about that, but it might be a possibility.
                          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hey there, I am not really sure about this since we all have different coping mechanisms. There is nothing wrong with using anti-depressants but make sure that you are not relying on them as much as it might cause regression once you decided to stop. Have you tried keeping yourself busy with outdoor activities? I personally think that it is a great help. There is also nothing wrong if you seek another round of medical attention.

Comment

Outdoor activities are an excellent suggestion Iaojuntasa. Thank you for sharing.

Mocha231

Comment

Working...
                              X