Treatment for complex-PTSD (trauma)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Treatment for complex-PTSD (trauma)

The more time therapists spend educating me in counseling sessions, the less help I get for my C-PTSD.

Well intentioned therapists have spent hours extolling the virtues of mindfulness and other grounding techniques, and I have practiced their techniques in homework repeatedly.

None of the techniques have changed my mental health much, in part because my diagnosis is Complex PTSD stemming from excessive trauma, mostly from childhood abuse and neglect.

A criticism of cognitive behavioral therapy is that it only looks at recent concerns and troubles, it does not delve into the deeper causes of mental health diagnoses, such as an unhappy childhood rife with trauma.

A leading treatment for ordinary PTSD is EMDR. But C-PTSD is different, and several experts say EMDR won’t work. My previously psychologist didn’t know how to treat C-PTSD.

A paper* I read states that the therapy for C-PTSD involves this:
    1. A “stabilization phase” (Phase I)
    2. A phase that focuses on the trauma and helps to process traumatic memories (Phase II)
    3. A final integration phase (Phase III)
    If this is the treatment, what is it called? As I say, my last therapist didn’t know about this, and I want to search for a therapist with the right training.

*Paper title: Review: “Critical Analysis of the Current Treatment Guidelines for Complex-PTSD in Adults” in Depression and Anxiety 00:1-11 (2016)

I've had depression all my life and have seen several counselors. One or two seemed to know what they're doing but it seems like a person has to go through 100 counselors to find one good one. I hope you find someone to help you with C-ptsd. Barring that, take care of your diet, exercise and sleep habits and get as much sun as you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Quito View Post
      I've had depression all my life and have seen several counselors. One or two seemed to know what they're doing but it seems like a person has to go through 100 counselors to find one good one. I hope you find someone to help you with C-ptsd. Barring that, take care of your diet, exercise and sleep habits and get as much sun as you can.
      I agree and believe there's a counseling crisis in Alberta, largely because the local university is graduating psychologists who are not trained to help individuals with their childhood trauma/neglect, and because the latest forms of counselling just aren't working. At one non-profit facility with a sliding scale, patients teach themselves mindfulness and grounding techniques by doing homework. Therapists spend far more time in counseling talking about themselves and ask their clients zero questions about how they're doing.

Every counseling organization in the city refers their clients to a crisis counseling centre, but I saw one therapist who literally talked at me for two hours straight without asking me a single question. I didn't complete one sentence in two hours. This was after I'd seen a Spanish counselor there who'd literally accused me using cocaine when I arrived with swollen, bleeding lips after tripping on one of the city's heaving sidewalks downtown. He knew I had an MBA when I arrived with swollen lips, so why would he think I'd be a cocaine user?

Huge numbers of people are at risk of suicide, making several attempts, and many are committing suicide. A psych ward peace officer who lives in our family home says the hospital psych wards are always full. They're building a newly expanded psych ward in one of our hospitals.
      Last edited by Complex-PTSD_Girl; May 11, 2021, 11:40 AM.

Comment

I agree and believe there's a counseling crisis in Alberta, largely because the local university is graduating psychologists who are not trained to help individuals with their childhood trauma/neglect, and because the latest forms of counselling just aren't working. At one non-profit facility with a sliding scale, patients teach themselves mindfulness and grounding techniques by doing homework. Therapists spend far more time in counseling talking about themselves and ask their clients zero questions about how they're doing.

Every counseling organization in the city refers their clients to a crisis counseling centre, but I saw one therapist who literally talked at me for two hours straight without asking me a single question. I didn't complete one sentence in two hours. This was after I'd seen a Spanish counselor there who'd literally accused me using cocaine when I arrived with swollen, bleeding lips after tripping on one of the city's heaving sidewalks downtown. He knew I had an MBA when I arrived with swollen lips, so why would he think I'd be a cocaine user?

Huge numbers of people are at risk of suicide, making several attempts, and many are committing suicide. A psych ward peace officer who lives in our family home says the hospital psych wards are always full. They're building a newly expanded psych ward in one of our hospitals.

Comment

Complex PTSD Girl. I am sorry to hear that about your experience. It is the Therapist's job to listen to the client's concerns and not vice versa. Some counselling modalities do not work well for clients and this would require the therapist to try a new modality that is better suited to the client. CBT is one modality that is constantly being used. This may work well for some and not for others. This requires the therapist to look at other options such as DBT. I have heard great things about grounding techniques and if you find it helpful I would definitely implement these strategies. I would encourage everyone to look for a therapist with a lot of experience assisting clients with PTSD who uses more than one counselling modality to help treat their client.

Mocha231

Comment

Originally posted by Mocha231 View Post
            Complex PTSD Girl. I am sorry to hear that about your experience. It is the Therapist's job to listen to the client's concerns and not vice versa. Some counselling modalities do not work well for clients and this would require the therapist to try a new modality that is better suited to the client. CBT is one modality that is constantly being used. This may work well for some and not for others. This requires the therapist to look at other options such as DBT. I have heard great things about grounding techniques and if you find it helpful I would definitely implement these strategies. I would encourage everyone to look for a therapist with a lot of experience assisting clients with PTSD who uses more than one counselling modality to help treat their client.

Mocha231
            A hearty thanks for your help. I am trying to find a psychologist with trauma training. I am really depressed and reactive.

Comment

Originally posted by Quito View Post
              Thanks for suggesting I look for therapists who practice more than one modality of therapy. I hadn't thought of that. I try to mediate and focus on the present moment to keep my rumination at bay, but I'm about to be tested for ADHD because I have short-term memory problems, so it's tough for me to remind myself to stay in the present moment and use grounding techniques.

Comment

I was diagnosed with C-PTSD several years ago and underwent Eye Movement Desensitization (EMDR) treatments. These are life-changing therapies and only qualified therapists can administer but well worth the effort of finding the right therapists. The therapy is so non-invasive that you will wonder if they are doing anything but believe me, they are working magic. I experienced my first ***ual assault at age 4 and lived a lifetime (I am now 62) of emotional and verbal abuse because of it. EMDR has released me from reliving the traumas every time I hear a raised voice or suspect anger in anyone. You never forget the trauma but you never relive it either. PLEASE, take the time to find a therapist who can treat you using EMDR.

Comment

Thank you for sharing this information Sad in Paradise. I had no idea that Eye Movement Desensitization could be so beneficial in treating C-PTSD. I am so glad that it helped you.

Mocha231

Comment

Working...
                  X