Don't know what to call this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't know what to call this

I'm on here at the moment because I don't know where to go with what I'm feeling. It might be a panic attack; for sure I feel jittery and nervous and want to cry but can't. It will probably soon pass but this is quite upsetting. I'm trying to calm down my breathing, which helps somewhat. Also, writing this post may bring a better perspective.

I think it's from stuff building up. I'm having trouble finding an outlet for it. There has been a run of sickness and death in my personal circle for the last few years (not to mention the world at large). I confide in a few close friends, but at the same time don't want to spiral down by dwelling too much on the negative. I think an appointment with a counselor may be in order if this doesn't let up. I was doing really well for a long time, including the whole pandemic isolation stuff, but we all have limits. This last couple of weeks I've been exposed to major triggers that have pressed my anxiety and/or depression buttons. Yep, they are still working fine, no need to test them further

.... I've taken a little time here to do a bit more deep breathing and a body stretch or two... will continue with that, because it helps the footbaIl in my gut to reduce, and hopefully dissolve given a bit of time. I also just did a little reading from a couple of books I keep handy. Here is a quote from one: "Speak to another of that which lies in the heart, and be not ashamed of your words; for as you speak from your heart you are sounding notes of truth, wisdom, and power." I like that - a message that sometimes it's good to share about what's going on inside of me.

It has been good to write this, I feel some relief, and calm enough to begin carring on with my day - starting with a shower and getting dressed. If you're reading this, thank you so much for being there, it means a lot

uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Hope you feel better soon uni

I like the quote you shared. It is a good one.
    Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do but it doesn't get you anywhere.

Comment

Thank you bucky310, it's great to hear from you.... I feel a lot better now, several hours after my original post. This afternoon I had a long phone conversation with a good friend who deals with anxiety. It helped greatly and I felt less alone with everything now, and the panic has subsided.
      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hi Uni, sorry I just saw your post now. I'm glad you're feeling better. I noticed that in spite of it being difficult, you still had a sense of humour. The body stretches and deep breathing are a great response to a stressful time.

I find writing, just putting it out there, gives us a place for the anxiety and it feels more manageable. I'm glad your conversation with a friend was helpful.
        AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
        for not being what they believe they should be.
        -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Thanks for the positive feedback AJ. I don't know exactly what went on there but I don't want more of it anytime soon

I'm so fortunate to have had the "opportunities" -- thank you (I think) depressive episodes etc. -- to gather a tool box of strategies. The trick is getting the presence of mind to grab one or two things that might work.

Today has been much better, at least so far. This morning, after a long restful sleep, I found myself singing in the shower (John Lennon, "Imagine"), and realized that although nothing in my world has been altered since yesterday, it wasn't getting to me in the same way. Right on
          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

That is right on Uni! I can manage the song ‘rubber ducky’ in the shower.
            AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Thank you for posting this uni .. And I hope you're feeling much better now ..
              Talking about our feelings and thoughts is always our best option .. And MDSC is the best place to talk about them ..
              Last edited by Jafar the wizard; July 18, 2022, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Hi Uni; It's been a couple weeks since you posted but I totally get it. Depression can hit me upside the head when I don't expect it. And you're right, it is nice to know some 'tricks' that help us get moving again.

Comment

Thanks Quito. It always feels better to know that somebody gets what I'm going through. I'm glad to report that I feel much better, and for that I'm very thankful.

Jafar, I am definitely feeling better. Thanks for your comment. I couldn't agree more about this forum being a wonderful place to post about our feelings. It's nice to be understood, and not judged.

AJ I had to laugh at your "rubber ducky" comment - that's one I don't think to sing; I may have to add it to my repertoire!
                  uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Uni you can borrow my rubber ducky for inspiration.
                    AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Working...
                    X