Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping up the light

Spring is here, right?

White stuff, ice, north wind, c-c-cold. Well, cold-er (been spoiled). *But* there's more daylight, and that's the main thing!

It was so balmy this winter, and now I'm scraping car windows. It reminds be to be glad I no longer drive a truck - crawling up on the hood to scrape was hard on the knees - and cold on them too

I will be keeping up the use of my SAD light for a while yet. Usually I quit at the end of March, but I did an experiment once and used it year round, which seemed to work well, so I plan on doing so again.

I got off-track with the light because of travel, and had a heck of a time getting back in the groove. I just couldn't seem to get a routine going thanks to several factors, some of which were my own doing. I was already having sleep problems and may have inadvertently made them worse with my erratic schedule. In any case, the sleep-wake-light cycle is finally levelling out (I hope).

Anyway, spring can be rocky for a lot of people, even those without a mood disorder. So it might be a bit early to kick the light to the curb if you've been using it this winter. My two cents.
    Last edited by uni; March 23, 2012, 06:22 PM. Reason: screwed up on thread title
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Sounds like a good plan Uni! Nothing like a little extra light - especially when those spings showers set in!

Comment

Hey Uni! How long do you use your light and in am or pm? Do you have to look at it, or can you just sort of sun bathe? My bipolar depressions really seem to set up in mid Jan to, well, now. Maybe if I do it year round as you suggest, it will be more of a habit come crunch time next Jan.

Comment

Hi Leila. I use my light in the morning when I get up. I start in the fall with ten-minutes and work up to 20, 30 and even 40 or longer if I feel the need. You don't look right at it, but rather let it hit your eyes indirectly. It's not an exact science and affects different people differently, sort of like meds do. One thing to consider: with bipolar you have to be careful not to overdo, because it has been known to rev some people up.
        uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Working...
        X